EIGHT

Song: Two Is Better ThanOne- Boys Like Girls ft. Taylor Swift

NARRATOR's POV

"James!" Ann called as she approached James. She brought him his favorite burger.

"I asked them to add an extra cheese," she whispered.

"Awesome!" James replied.

She observed him, eating his burger. She didn't know why, but she started to feel extraordinarily happy everytime she sees him after they reconciled. "You look so cute," Ann said as she pinched James' cheeks.

"Ouch! I am eating okay? I know, I'm cute. You really don't have to say that a million times," he boasted and rolled his eyes.

"You, little proud man! Show me what you've got. Win that tournament," she dared.

"And what if I do?" he asked.

"Then you'll get a kiss from me," she replied. James frowned. He really didn't think it would be a good prize.

"Yuck. Do you think that's something I would look forward to? It's not like you don't kiss me usually," he commented.

ANN's POV

"Then you'll get a kiss from me," I replied. Shoot. Why did I even tell him that?

James frowned. "Yuck. Do you think that's something I would look forward to? It's not like you don't kiss me usually," he commented. I did not know what to say next.

"It was a joke, you idiot," I took it back.

I didn't know if it was just me, but James seemed to have moved on really fast. Maybe it was because his attention was diverted to the chess tournament.

One night, Tricia called me. "Ann, I was just thinking. Do you think James has forgiven me? I felt really upset about it. I actually did not care. But my conscience is killing me," she said.

"Oh. About that. I think he's cool with it. He has moved on. Nothing to worry about," I assured her.

"You sure?" she asked. "Yup," I replied.

"You must really love him. Don't you?" she asked again.

"Yup," I replied.

"I mean. Love and not Love," she said but giving a different tone on the first one

"What do you mean by that?" I asked.

"Come on, Ann. I see it. And I feel it. Another thing that hindered me from liking James aside from the fact that I have a boyfriend was you. I know you love him. And I'm pretty sure about that," she said.

"No. We're just bestfriends," I replied.

"Well if that's what you say. We'll see about that," she said before she hung up the phone.

What was she saying? Did I look like I was in love or something?

***

"Lauren, give me a call a soon as you read this. It's important," I sent Lauren a message.

"Hey?" Is there anything wrong?" she asked upon reaching me.

"Do you think I'm in love?" I asked. She laughed really hard.

"Hey? What's funny?" I asked.

"You called me for that? I don't even see you little sis. I can't tell if you're blooming or something. I can't figure," she said.

"Nah. Just say it," I replied.

"I really have no idea!" she said.

"Aww!" I said.

"Why ask? And why talk to me instead of James?" she asked.

"Well, I just wanted to ask from a girl's point of view," I replied.

***

"Hey Miss. You're daydreaming," someone said. I recognized his voice, it was James'.

"What's up?" he asked.

"Nothing, really," I replied. "What were you thinking?" he asked again.

"Love?" I said with an unsure tone.

"Love?" he questioned.

"Yes. I was just thinking how to find your greatest love, your one true love," I replied.

"Well. I am not an expert. I don't know," he said.

"Do you think, Tricia is your true love?" I teased him.

"Yeah right, here we go again. Stop bringing her up into our conversations, okay?" he commanded.

"Why are you blushing then?" I teased again.

"No I'm not," he raised his voice. I laughed.

"James, don't deny it. You still like her," I said.

"When I say no, it's a no," he said seriously that is why I stopped.

"Whatever," I replied.

"Well, back to the topic. When do you think will we find our greatest loves?" I asked him again.

"I really have no idea, Ann. Cut it, okay? I'm not interested. If it comes, it comes. We just have to wait," he ended.

JAMES' POV

It was the day of the tournament. I was excited but nervous at the same time. Mom and Lauren would watch so I had to win. Yeah, for Ann too. But I, definitely, was not buying for that kiss.

"Mom!" I shouted as I called her and Lauren's attention.

"This is Coach John Hawk. I told you I am gonna introduce you to him," I said.

"Coach, this is my Mom Rachel and sister Lauren," I continued. Coach handed his hand but mom refused and walked out.

"Mom?" I asked. Why did she do that?

"Calling all the participants and coaches, please go to your respective places now. The competition is about to start," said the master of ceremony.

I did not get the chance to talk to her or Lauren. Maybe she was just not in the mood. But why was that? Well, I thought to just ask her later.