ONE

Song: I Think God Can Explain- Splender

NARRATOR's POV

"One! Two! Three!" James and Ann screamed right before they jumped into the water. The abandoned lighthouse in the middle of the sea was like a little island that served as their paradise. There, they could do whatever they would want. They were away from all the people they did not want to see.

James and Ann rose up after diving. "Whew! That was awesome!" James exclaimed.

"I know!" Ann agreed.

They swam and enjoyed the view of their paradise because after that year, they would be leaving it, for good. After an hour or so, they went inside the lighthouse. It was decorated inside. It looked like a fancy little house. It was so colorful. There were drawings of dresses and many other things posted all around the place. There, they dried themselves and changed their clothes in a small division which looked like a dressing room.

"I really hope we can stay here forever, James," Ann wished. James looked at her and smiled as he was shaking water off his hair.

"I am hoping the same way too. It is just that we really can't," he said.

"Yeah. I know," she replied as she held a huge fancy box. She opened it and saw things which were treasure to both of them.

James took the small doll."I remember this. You were so mad at me because mine..." he said as he took the other one. "... was prettier than yours," he reminisced.

Ann grinned. "I still can't believe that you were more creative than me that time," she laughed.

"But look at you now. You are one step closer to you dream of being a famous fashion designer. Next year, you can formally go to a fashion school," he praised.

"Thank you. Thank you," she said as she gracefully bowed.

She saw the piano pencil case. She took some batteries from their supplies and put them on. She played a couple of notes. "Happy Birthday to you," she started singing.

James smiled. "How can I forget that? That was the first time we saw each other!" he said like it was a light bulb moment.

"I can't believe we've known each other for six years now!" she said.

"Me too!" James replied.

He noticed the little chess board that they used to play on. "Oh, I missed this. We don't use this anymore," he said.

"Want to play?" she asked.

"Absolutely," he replied.

***

As usual, Ann lost. She never won unless James would let her. Chess had always been his expertise.

"Ann, James, we have to get going now," said a familiar voice. It was James' guy nanny. He has been with him since he was nine. The three of them were like a family. Edward has always been there for them.

"Aww! I haven't beaten him up yet! I lost the first game!" Ann retorted.

"Dear, no matter how many games you play, he will never let you win!" he teased.

James chuckled while Ann frowned. "Fine. Someday, I am going to beat you!" she said to James angrily.

"I'll be waiting for that day then," James replied with his killer smile.

***

They were about to leave the place when Ann saw the box where they were keeping all their letters. "Hey, wait!" she called.

"Why?" James asked.

"Let's make another letter!" she said as she was holding the box.

"Okay then. Let's bring it here when we come back" James agreed.

***

They left the small island by a motorboat that Edward controlled. "We're here!" Edward said. James and Ann immediately got out of the boat. They raced until they have reached their bicycles. They biked and headed to the village while Edward followed them patiently.

They were about to approach Ann's place when they saw her father heading to his car. He was bringing his luggage. "Dad?" asked Ann as she started biking faster. She was not able to talk to him because he immediately drove off without saying goodbye to her.

"Mom!" she called aloud as she looked for her mother.

"Honey," her mom, weeping, answered.

"What happened? Where did dad go?" she asked worriedly.

"He left us," Dina answered.

"For good," she added.

"What do you mean he left us? Why would he?" she asked as tears started to fall off her eyes.

JAMES' POV

Edward and I followed Ann as she rushed to their house. I was supposed to eavesdrop but Edward held my arms. He said I was not supposed to listen. Ann and her mom should talk first before I butt in. I agreed. We left their house.

"I think there is something wrong," I said as we rode our bicycles.

"Maybe. Just call her later. Ask and comfort her," Edward replied.

ANN's POV

I couldn't believe daddy did that. All the while I thought we were a happy family. My phone rang. It was James. I was not even sure if I wanted to answer him but I did, anyway. "Hello, Ann?" he asked. It was only after three or five seconds before he knew I was on the line for I was not talking.

"Are you okay?" he asked

"I guess," I coldly replied.

"What happened? Would you mind sharing it to me? Maybe I can help," he said. I was hesitant because I felt ashamed. But James was my best friend. I knew that I could say to him everything.

"My dad left us for another girl," I started. Right after saying that, I started to cry again. My heart was really broken. James, on the other hand, patiently listened to my story even if it was hard since I was crying. We talked the whole night. I did not even know who slept first. But there was only one thing I was sure of, I felt okay after talking to him.