SEVEN

Song: Bang the Doldrums-Fall Out Boy

ANN's POV

"Go home. I don't need an expert liar here," James said. Did he just say that? That I was an expert liar? That made me feel so miserable. How could my very best friend say that? I knew I was wrong. But I only did it for him.

NARRATOR's POV

About a week has passed but James and Ann never talked. Ann would contact James but he never returned her calls and messages. He also lied low from chess practices that is why his coach, John, looked for him.

"James!" John shouted when he finally found him at the parking lot, about to go home.

"Why were you not going to the practices? The tournament is getting near," he said.

"I just don't feel like it," he coldly said.

"Is there any problem?" he asked again.

"There's none. I'm leaving now," James replied as he was about to get inside his car. John, however, held his arms. Their eyes met and the next thing seen, James was already in the chess room.

"She lied to me. That's what actually hurt the most. She made me hope for nothing," James shared as they were playing.

"Why do you think she lied?" John asked. James thought for a second.

"Because she did not want me to get hurt," he said shyly.

"See? You're still the person who understands her. It's very clear that she just wanted you to be happy, James" he said.

"Wait. Are you sure you don't feel anything for Ann? Seems like you've been through many things already," he said.

"Hell no!" James exclaimed.

"We're just bestfriends!" he emphasized.

"Fine! Fine! I was just asking" John said as he raised his hand.

After the conversation, James felt like saying sorry to Ann. He realized that he also went overboard. Come what may, James couldn't deny that Ann had been a very good friend to him.

JAMES' POV

I was waiting outside Ann's classroom when they were finally dismissed. I turned and saw Tricia. "James," she greeted.

"Hey," I replied.

"About last time," she started.

"It's cool. I'm fine now," I said as I walked out and ran after Ann.

"Ann!" I called her. She turned to me but she was looking down. I held her chin and lifted it up.

"I'm sorry," I apologized.

"You... you're not mad at me anymore?" she innocently asked.

"Yeah. I'm really sorry. I was just too emotional," I said. She smiled at me.

"Oh I missed that smile," I said as I hugged her.

"I missed yours, too. I thought I was gonna lose my bestfriend," she worriedly said.

"That'll never happen for sure," I replied as I put my arms around her shoulders.

***

"Wow. You two are okay now?" Lauren asked when she saw us entering the house.

"Yep," I replied.

"Right. So, you must be useless now, Edward," Lauren shouted referring to Edward who was at the kitchen.

"Edward's here?" Ann asked as her eyes widened.

"Where is he?" I asked,

"Here!" Edward announced.

"Edward!" Ann and I exclaimed.

"You did not tell us you'd go here!" she said.

"You didn't tell me you guys were fighting. If Lauren did not call me, I wouldn't know," he said.

We felt guilty. We never really hid anything from him. But it turned out that since we moved, we started to lose communication.

"You're not writing letters anymore. I thought we'd still write for each other even if we're just one cellular phone away?" he asked.

"Sorry. Promise, we'll write letters again," Ann swore.

"Nah. It's okay. Just update me from time to time. You guys made me worry," he replied.

It was good to see Edward again. He had always been our middleman. I thought it just meant something. Ann and I were really bestfriends.