Chapter 10

Soon, Wilbur and the chickens arrived back at Zuckerman's farm where the other animals were waiting to greet them. 

"Is that our lovely-ovely little Wilbur?" Gussy smiled.

"And he's got a medal!" Samuel pointed out. 

"Well done, chap!" Fowler told Wilbur.

"Strong work, kid" Ike said to Wilbur. 

"He looks so grown up" Bunty commented. 

"I always knew he could do it" Babs smiled. 

"Aye, never had a doubt" Mac agreed. 

"Welcome home, Wilbur" Zuckerman's farm animals said to the pig. 

But Wilbur and the chickens didn't say anything as they sadly came back into the barn, with Ginger carrying Charlotte's egg sac. The other animals started to question what was going on while Mac, Babs, Bunty, and Fowler came up to Ginger and the others. 

"Where's Charlotte?" They asked them. 

Ginger, Rocky, and the others sadly looked down at the egg sac in Ginger's wings in silence, then back up towards the doorway where Charlotte's web once was. Ginger carefully placed the egg sac down in the hay while the chickens came over to comfort Wilbur, all crying over their once great spider friend. The other animals seemed to understand now and all bowed their heads in silence, mourning the loss of Charlotte. 

It had been the best fair in the history of Somerset County. More people than ever before came to see the miraculous web. But no one noticed the common brown spider in the corner who'd given everything she had to save a terrifically radiant and humble pig. No one was with her when she died....

Now, that isn't to say Charlotte was gone forever. She lived on in the hearts of those that knew her, and even those that didn't. Something had changed in Somerset County. It was as if people knew they lived in a special place now. And in small ways, they started being special people, a little bit kinder, a bit more understanding. And the animals felt different, too. Closer. The warmth of their friendship carried them through the long, cold months. They showed it in little gestures of kindness, unusual patience, and promises kept. Even the hardest of hearts found themselves rising to the occasion. 

All of the farm animals were shown taking turns watching over Charlotte's egg sac, even Templeton. Ginger and her flock watched over the egg sac until it was time for them to go back home with the Harpercops. Kali seemed to understand what had happened and she too was sad over the loss of Charlotte. Although she never really spent much time with Charlotte, the adventure girl had a deep respect for the common brown spider. 

And finally, the greatest promise of all, a spring pig saw his first snowfall. It was as though Charlotte herself had shaken it out of the sky. The stillness of winter continued to the first thaw, like it always does. And then, the first buds of spring. And before you knew it, life had come full circle. 

The chickens had come back to Zuckerman's farm with the Harpercops during the first week of Spring to visit Wilbur. And they couldn't have come at a better time...

"Has it happened?! Is it time yet?! Did we miss anything?!" Nobby frantically rushed into the barn with the flock and over to Wilbur who was still watching Charlotte's egg sac, making the chicks giggle at their uncle. 

"Calm down there, kid" Bunty told the hyperactive young rooster. 

"But Aunt Bunty, it's taking forever" Ricky and Etta were getting impatient for the arrival of Charlotte's children. 

"You should never rush new life, what what!" Fowler informed the chicks. 

"Aye, these things take time" Mac added to them.