Chapter 2

Time passed by quickly. After about 6 weeks, Wilbur had grown so, you'd never have known he started life as a runt. In fact, Wilbur had grown so much that John Arable decided it was time he stopped being a pet and started being a pig. 

The chickens had come up to the house by the kitchen window, eavesdropping in as they overheard Mr. Arable arguing with Fern, Kali, and the twins about selling Wilbur. The gang was not happy to hear the news, especially Fern. She loved Wilbur and couldn't bare the thought of losing him. 

"I promised I'd take care of him" The chickens heard Fern say to her dad. 

"Well, I'm letting you out of your promise" John told his daughter. 

"I didn't promise you" Fern said to her father. "I promised Wilbur"

The chickens, Kali and the twins were on Fern's side with this. They couldn't just give Wilbur away, until they heard a suggestion come from Mrs. Arable. 

"What about Homer? He has animals. I'm sure he could make room for a pig" 

Homer Zuckerman, Fern's uncle from her mother's side owned a big barn with tons of different animals. And luckily he lived right across the road, that way Fern could visit Wilbur whenever she liked. The kids and birds all seemed to agree that this was their best option, but they were all still going to miss Wilbur. 

The day soon came and Fern walked down with Wilbur to her uncle's farm, accompanied by Kali and the chickens. The chickens had agreed to stay with Wilbur until he became comfortable in his new home. 

Fern had walked across the road to her uncle's barn hundreds of times before, but it had never felt so far away. It was just a plain big red barn full of typical stuff. Come to think of it, it couldn't have been more ordinary. But sometimes when you take two ordinary things and put them together at just the right time, there's a chance they'll become two less ordinary things. 

That runty pig, for instance, and that big old smelly barn. One sniff, and you knew it was a place full of living things. But that didn't necessarily mean it was full of life. Nope. For that, this barn needed a pig. Only no one knew it yet. 

"It's okay" Fern soothed the little piglet squirming in her arms. 

"Now this isn't so bad" Babs said while she and the others had a look around the barn. "Hmm. Quite cozy, actually" 

Fern then set Wilbur down in the pen where he would be staying. 

"Now, go ahead and make yourselves comfortable, guys" Kali told her chickens. 

"Don't mind if I do" Nobby had already seemed to find a nice soft hay pile to take a nap in. 

Kali kneeled down in front of Ginger, stroking her feathers. "I'll be back to get you later, okay?" She told her favorite chicken, as if it sounded like she was going away for a long time. 

"Don't worry about us, Kali" Ginger gave a small smile to her human companion. 

Everyone then heard the school bus horn honk in the distance. Fern turned to Wilbur. 

"You'll be okay. I'll come see you every day" Fern told the little pig. "I love you"

Fern then left the barn, closing the gate behind her as she had to go to school and Kali had her own things to do as well. The animals watched their companions leave but Wilbur wanted Fern to stay. It was only a few seconds later when Wilbur managed to bust one of the fence boards down and break out of his pen, much to the chickens surprise. The resident animals came out in amusement, watching Wilbur race across the field after the school bus.