Chapter Seventeen: Are We There?

I made up with Masky shortly after the incident with Laughing Jack. I felt guilty due to having so many suspicions that it was him. I'm beyond glad it wasn't.

Unfortunately, I have out too much information and Slenderman had us sit down to evaluate my botched plan. He had all of us searching for any mills-those that were abandoned, defunct, and others that were once mills turned into other buildings.

"I'll go ask at the store across the street." I volunteered and bounded out the door with Masky in tow. He opened the door to the shop in which we were promptly hit with the scent of warm vanilla. Inside, I realized it was an antique shop.

By the entrance/exit was a countertop where an older woman in her fifties was reading the newspaper. I smiled softly and made my way over to her.

"Hi, Miss. Do you know of any old mills here in town?" I asked her. She smiled kindly and took a moment to process my strange question. Her expression morphed to her searching her memory.

"Yes! But I only know of one. There's an old barley mill northeast of the city, sweetie!"

I thanked her and Masky and I ran back to the motel.

"Okay guys, northeast, there's some kind of oat mill or something." I relayed the information. Slenderman pulled out his compass as we got into contact with the others already out in town.

"Okay, we're on our way there." Jeff said as out group made our way out of the motel parking lot. We were on our way to the edge of town. I snuggled with Masky as he hugged me. We walked behind the group to keep an eye out on them when we ran into that Helen Otis guy again. He was with a shady character due to my knowledge of him being a spy, and let me tell you now that that shady guy wasn't even trying to hide it.

"Oh! Hello, [ ] [ ]. Isn't it funny how we see each other once again?!" he sweetly exclaimed.

"Stop it. You're just one of Zalgo's goons." I hissed. I ran with Masky to catch up with the group. My boyfriend looked over at me with a confused expression and I mouthed that it wasn't the time to explain anymore.

And so, we continuously walked for nearly a half hour to reach a certain mill.

"The only mill here is one for grain. So what are we going to do?" Hoodie asked.

"Break down the door." I suggested sadistically, walking around the premises of the old mill.

"Do you think that this is it?" Masky asked me.

"Oats, grain... I can only assume they're similar. Let's give it a try."

I searched the ground for a rock. I found a medium-sized stone and threw it at a window. It shattered pretty well if you ask me and landed with a clatter inside. Since no alarms tripped, it was safe to assume that it was defunct and the right location.

Ben and Sally were thrown in first to search, since they were small, and Sally was a fearless kid. We split in our original groups, except without Laughing Jack. My recon group took the back, where we found a door. We weren't sure how the others were doing, but we found a pretty obvious trap if it's just a door leading in.

"Damn, stop being such babies, and open the damn door!" Clockwork shouted at us and kicked in the doorknob to open the door. She crossed her arms with a huff and strode in with her eyes peeled. Masky and I followed suit to which I began to take everything in.

Looking up at the rusty and ancient lights hanging above our heads. The ceiling was charred alongside the walls and flooring. Anyone could tell it was burned years before. I wonder what started the fire though.

I turned a corner and was met with slow, pompous, eerie clapping.

"Welcome! I should have known it would be you to have come here, [ ] [ ]." a familiar voice greeted me.