HALLOWEEN SPECIAL

"You're a pretty cute vampire!" the girls squealed as they hugged his arms and palmed his clothed chest. There was a breaking point when Masky started begging me to help him. Laughing, I let him be trampled by the girls and went about shopping for a new witch hat. Mine was ruined in the middle of a larp the other week that went wrong by using real fire... Note to self and to possible mind readers; don't do that.

Ahhh, Halloween. It was just another night, except we walk around and scare kids just to steal their candy.

"Yo, [ ],"

I rounded the corner of the chip isle when my name was called out. I looked up at some school sports jock. I knew this guy because he was in my geometry class, but man was the guy always a dickwad to me.

He continued, "I was wondering if you'd go to a rave party with me tonight, 'ya know- for the Halloween spirit. No parental supervision."

Masky's arm hugged my shoulders and he protectively held me. "So babe, yes or no to the cheese puffs?" Masky asked me, ignoring the jock.

The jock walked past us, bumping into Masky as he muttered something about trash. Before I could tell him to let it go, Masky grabbed the guy by his neck and squeezed it.

"If I catch you around my girl one more time, we'll have to settle this shit, catch my drift?"

After that, the guy walked away, huffing and puffing. I looked up at him and gave him a sheepish smile, "We can do the cheese puffs, dork." We paid for our snacks and made our way out of the store.

"Tonight, my neighbors are having a block party. Come with me?"

Mask agreed. As I was tucking my coin purse in my bag, a chick with black hair shoved me into the doorway of the store.

Following after the girl that pushed me, I grabbed a hold of her very pale wrist. She turned to me and snarled something in a foreign language. I was shocked, "What?"

She walked away with such an entitled demeanor. God, I can never understand people...

"I look pretty cool." I told myself as I checked myself out in the mirror.

"Yo, [ ], I think it's time for you to get out. You've been in there for a whole hour." Masky knocked at my door. Taking another second to appreciate my banging Halloween makeup, I winked at myself in the mirror before grasping the handle.

I swung open the door and tipped my witch hat, "Worth the wait?"

His eyes wandered all over me and suddenly I became self-conscious. I pulled my hat down over my eyes and he lifted it slightly to catch my gaze.

"Worth the wait."

A light laugh escaped me and I smoothed out my straight skirt. I could faintly hear music from the party going on down at the curb. The block was filled with all sorts of costumes, especially zombie types. I walked over with Masky, and we enjoyed ourselves, indulging in the fun with some other students our age that went to different schools, and some little kids.

"[ ], this is your fathers business partner, Mr. Roper. This is his daughter Jane." my mom introduced me to total strangers. As I was about to shake hands, I stared at the girl who bumped into me earlier and waved to them begrudgingly.

I turned on my heels and glanced about for Masky. It wasn't long before I spotted him sitting under a tree eating a piece of candy.

"Hand me some of that." I called out to him as I sat next to him. I held out my palm out for him to give me the M&M's he'd been munching out on. He gave me a note.

"You're spook-tacular!" it read. I laughed and kept it in my pocket.

Then I turned to him and said, "No, YOU are."

I took off my hat and took whatever candy he had and hid it away in the hat. Masky pulled me into his lap and we both shared the warming moment with one another.

"Oh whatever. It's you and you know it!" he laughed. We talked, and joked, and judged random kid's costumes.

"Hey guys!" Hood called out to us from the shadows.

"T-The party l-looks c-c-cool-l." Toby stuttered as he followed behind. I smiled up at them and tossed a couple of reject candy in their direction.

"Welcome, welcome, you dorks! Glad you guys could make it!"

Toby took the candy and munched out on it while staring out into the sugar-filled void he created for himself. Hood laid back with us and watched as children destroyed themselves with little fights fueled by their sugar intake.

Ahh, Halloween.