Chapter 3: Confused

Once they had found a taxi, Sidney rang Tom to let him know what was happening as the taxi driver loaded all of Charlotte's luggage into the car. He then got into the front seat as the back seat was occupied by some of Charlotte's bags which hadn't been able to fit in the boot. They travelled in silence. Charlotte spent the time looking out the window, watching the lit up buildings pass by, wondering how far away they were from the sea and whether she'd get to see it at all before she had to get the train home. Charlotte still wasn't convinced that accepting Sidney's offer of a place to stay was a wise decision, he was a stranger after all. But there seemed to be no better alternative at present. She hoped his brother wouldn't mind the inconvenience – because that's what she was right now and she hated it. She hated having to rely on the goodwill of strangers - especially tall, dark and handsome ones that she couldn't deny she was attractive to.

Ten minutes later, the taxi pulled up outside Trafalgar House. When Charlotte stepped out the taxi, she could hear the waves crashing in the background and smell the salt in the air. It was too dark to see anything, but she could tell the sea was pretty close by. Sidney paid for the taxi, helped get all the luggage out and knocked on the door before using his key to let them in. Tom bounded up the hallway to greet them, with Mary following gracefully behind.

"Sidney!" He said enthusiastically, embracing his brother and giving him a clap on the back.

"Tom." Sidney said back.

"And you must be Charlotte." Tom said extending his hand. "Tom Parker at your service, and this is my wife Mary."

"Thank you both so much for this." Charlotte said meekly shaking Tom's hand. "I'm so sorry for the inconvenience."

"Oh it was no bother. The Annex was all made up for Sidney anyway." Mary said. Charlotte frowned at Sidney and he avoided her eye. He was meant to be staying there? So where was he going to sleep? "Let's get all your bags in there shall we?" Mary continued, looking at the heavy load Sidney and Charlotte were carrying between them.

"Ah – you're a musician." Tom said seeing the guitar.

"Yes." Charlotte replied.

"Splendid." Tom said, an idea popping into his head.

Mary could see the cogs in Tom's brain whirring. "Tom, let's get Charlotte settled in shall we." Mary said a little sternly. "Why don't you take some bags off Sidney?"

"Yes, yes of course." Tom stuttered.

All four of them walked through to the back of the house where there was a door to the Annex.

"Now, this is the internal door from the Annex to the house and there's a separate external entrance which will take you out onto the street, the key is hung up next to the door should you need it." Mary explained.

They walked through the internal door which opened up straight into the living area. There was a sofa and arm chair in here, with a TV and open fireplace and along the wall at the back was a kitchenette with a small round breakfast table in the corner. It was cosy and simply decorated and Charlotte could imagine it would work perfectly as a holiday let. Charlotte unloaded herself of the bags, as did the rest of the party.

"Through the door here is a bedroom with en suite." Mary explained pointing to her right. "I've laid out some towels for you, but if you need anything else, let me know."

"Thanks Mary, this is perfect." Charlotte said smiling shyly.

"Is there any particular time you want breakfast?" Mary asked.

"Oh, please don't worry about that, I can grab something at the station in the morning."

"It's no bother. We're usually up early anyway because of the children." Mary said.