Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part 2)

The phrase "laughter is the best medicine" undoubtedly held a truth to it. The sound of someone's jollity could brighten up the dreariest of places and make the most dreadful tasks bearable. Thanks to (Y/n)'s curiosity, the majority of her checkup was filled with wonderful laughter.

(Y/n) asked many questions during the checkup, and Josuke and Tomoko answered every single one passionately. The girl learned about the stethoscope (or as she liked to call it, a 'stiff-throw-scoop'; she found the word a little difficult to say), the various organs in the human body and their functions, and she even learned about different kinds of medicine. The wonder that sparkled in (Y/n)'s eye at every fact charmed the three adults; so much so that they couldn't help but laugh with delight. Joyed that she was growing closer to a world that she barely understood, (Y/n) joined in on their laughter.

And everyone's laughter planted a seed of perseverance within Josuke. As expected, he made quite a few fumbles during the checkup, but he managed to stay true to his mother's words. When he hit the wrong part of (Y/n)'s knee during the reflex test, stuck the otoscope too far into her ear, and almost broke the scale when measuring her weight, Josuke made sure to keep his benevolent spirit strong to ensure that (Y/n) had a checkup that she would fondly remember.

After Tomoko measured (Y/n)'s blood pressure, gave her vaccines, and took x-rays, the checkup was nearly finished. There was only one examination left. The examination that would bring their laughter to a grinding halt.

It was time to check (Y/n)'s eye.

Everyone watched with bated breaths as Tomoko reached around (Y/n)'s head to unwrap the towel. Josuke bit his lip and Rohan squeezed (Y/n)'s hand to let her know that everything was going to be ok. Tomoko seemed to be the only one who wasn't phased, as she wore a gentle smile to ease everyone's nerves. However, Josuke figured out that the smile was simply a mask, for he saw her one sign of fear: swallowing the saliva that built up in her mouth. The towel that Tomoko unwrapped fell to the floor with a soft thud. Then, (Y/n)'s bandage followed suit...

"..."

"..."

"...(Y/n)...you were brought to a hospital...weren't you?" Rohan asked in a shocked whisper.

"Yeah, of course I was! Why, Rohan-Sensei?"

What should've been a perfectly healthy (e/c) eye with the ability to capture the beauty of the world had been tainted with a deep crimson color. The adult's mouths were slightly agape and their eyes rounded with alarm. (Y/n) went to cover her eye when she saw their reactions and felt her eye prickle with pain from its exposure to the air.

"No no no (Y/n)! Don't touch it!" Tomoko fretted as she wrapped a clean bandage around it. She did so in a rather hastily fashion, and Rohan and Josuke thought that she would have taken more care when wrapping the wound. But unbeknownst to them at the moment, (Y/n)'s eye could only be treated with a surgical procedure.

(Y/n)'s x-ray scans finished printing, so Josuke grabbed those and looked them over, along with the notes that he and his mother jotted down during the examination. As he read the notes, he could feel the fragments of positivity in his soul shatter under a weight of despair. He prayed that the words in front of him were somehow lying to him, but he knew that they were accurate; Tomoko was by his side the whole time, fixing his mistakes.

"No...no, there's no way...oh god (Y/n), what the hell happened to you...?" Josuke whispered as he felt his stomach churn from anger and disgust. The nurse called his mother over to look over the notes with him. After he showed his mother some of the notes, as well as the x-rays, Tomoko felt the same exact anger and disgust that her son was feeling, but she decided not to show it. She didn't want to frighten or stress (Y/n) out.