Scenes From An Italian Restaurant (Part 3)

A/N: Writing this chapter was a little weird because I went from a chapter that was 34 pages to this chapter, which is only 8 1/2, haha.

The verbal storybook shut on a sigh, and the meals were ready to be served. Tonio bittersweetly admired his dishes while Okuyasu fiddled the toy soldier taking cover in his pocket and (Y/n) stared at the bundles of bubbles settling at the top of the cleaning mixture, like oil in water. They all admired the soul of silence that wandered into the kitchen when Tonio finished telling the tale, which had been lounging by the doorway, waiting for the perfect moment to make its entrance. The silence stuck around until Okuyasu said:

"Keicho's body was never found. Shortly after Dad took me in, he requested a grave for him. I always wonder where he went..."

(Y/n) abandoned the bucket of cleaning mixture to hug Okuyasu and Tonio; she had already cleaned every spot they asked her to (and even if she wasn't finished, her new friends were much more important). They amicably smiled at her act of empathy and comfort and knelt down to pull her into a group hug. "You must miss them a lot."

"There isn't a day that goes by where Okuyasu and I don't think about our loved ones;" Tonio replied, "but we always keep the spirits of our loved ones alive in our own special way."

The chef and sous-chef stood and looked back at the food: a plate of abalone risotto, spaghetti and meatballs, and roasted quail, all piping hot. Their favorite foods, (Y/n) thought, and that's when all of the pieces of the puzzle fell into place: the message on the packet of flower seeds, the burial of the baby bunny, and Reimi's words about the graveyard. (Y/n)'s lips crept up into a crescent-moon-shaped smile at this newfound wisdom.

The silence came rushing back in like a woman retrieving her wallet after having left it in a public area, and left just as quickly at the entrance of the distant voices of Rohan and Reimi. They must have been drawing each other on napkins since they heard Rohan say,

"You know Reimi, for someone who spends more time around people than I do, you surely don't know what they look like! I mean, my eyes are on my forehead, my lips look like two earthworms, and you forgot to add my nose! But, to put it kindly as (Y/n) would, you tried your best."

Reimi let out another bark of laughter. She had been inebriated on hilarity without consuming a single drop of wine. Tonio heartily exclaimed, "I believe that is our cue to serve the aperitivo and the secondo! Happiness cannot be truer without a full stomach and family by your side, you know."

"Yep! And besides, hot Italian food eaten cold just doesn't sit right in the gut after!" Okuyasu said.

"Mr. Trussardi, what's an appletivo and secondini?"

"Aperitivo and secondo, bella: an aperitivo is the wine before the secondo, the main course. Let's see now, if I remember correctly..." Tonio drummed his fingers against the countertop as he tried recalling Rohan's and Reimi's favorite wines. "Right! Rohan likes cococciola, and Reimi likes prosecco! Okuyasu, (Y/n), care to bring the dishes out as I handle the drinks?"

Okuyasu already had the plate of abalone risotto and roasted quail in his hands, and (Y/n) picked up the plate of spaghetti and meatballs. "We're way ahead of ya, Dad!" They left the kitchen and Tonio retrieved the wine from the rack, his heart frolicking through the blooming meadow of joy in his chest.

"Rohan-Sensei! Reimi!" (Y/n) took three skips before a minuscule drop of tomato sauce splattering on the floor reminded her that she was carrying food. She placed the plate down on the table and took a seat between the adults, giggling while Reimi removed the bandana and Rohan untied the apron. They kissed the top of her head after.

"Oh sweetheart, how was it?" Reimi folded the clothes neatly into a pile and placed them on the back of her own chair. "Did you work hard for Okuyasu and Tonio?"