The Letter/Hello Old Friend

Late into the night, long after the sun had gone down and most other children were tucked safely in their beds, a small girl no older than nine sat alone in the back seat of her mother's archaic and tattered car as it sped down the interstate. The bright headlights from other vehicles made her squint, which wasn't eased by the rain that was softly falling. Glancing out of the window next to her, the girl noticed her reflection. Frail, timid, and helpless were the best attributes to describe her.

The most dominating feature about her, however, was the blood-stained bandage that was poorly wrapped around her left eye.

The girl, known as (Y/n), traced her finger along a raindrop that was running down the side of her window as she listened to what appeared to be fragments of a song breaking through the static on the radio. The raindrop she traced soon found a friend and collided with it, which made (Y/n) sigh as she dropped her hand to her side. "Mama? Where are we going?"

The only response that the girl got was a swerve of the car and a slew of swears from the mouth of her mother. (Y/n) let out a little yelp that was a mix of fear and pain from smacking her head against the window. While rubbing her head, the girl decided to repeat the question, reaching out from behind the passenger's seat to touch her mother on the shoulder. "Mama?"

(Y/n) could feel her mother tense up at the touch. The girl didn't understand why, it was just a gesture made out of concern. What she did understand, however, was the emotion in her eyes. It was resentment.

Her mother snapped out of her trance, looking around wildly before glancing at her daughter in the rear-view mirror. Her face softened once she saw (Y/n) staring at her with a wide, innocent (eye color) eye, but the resentment in her eyes was still there. "I'm sorry...what did you want to ask me?" Her mother said.

"Well, I want to know where we're going...we've been driving for a very long time..."

(Y/n)'s mother sighed as she pulled at her earring that resembled the tip of a pen, remaining silent. She must've been daydreaming about something pleasant again, (Y/n) could tell by the continuous tugging. It was a movement that the nine-year-old would often catch her making, especially in the past few months. But no matter how many times the girl asked what she was thinking about or where she got the pen-tip earrings, there was never an answer.

And it drove (Y/n) insane.

The pattering of rain was the only sound that could be heard in the car. (Y/n) narrowed her eye, waiting so patiently for the answer. After a moment of silence, her mother finally began to speak, breaking the quiet atmosphere of the car. "Before you were born, there was a place that I used to go to everyday. There I met a man. A handsome, bold, reliable man who was just drowning in riches...but then, something happened that I heavily regret..."

(Y/n)'s mother glanced at her daughter once again in the rear-view mirror with no expression. The girl cocked her head to the side. "What happened?"

The rain began to pelt the car like bullets, as if the raindrops were trying to break in. The wind screamed and scraped the sides of the car. The headlights on the highway soon disappeared and the two of them found themselves driving down a road surrounded by a forest. (Y/n) went to glance at the forest, but seeing the reflection of the bandage made her turn away in disgust. Seeing that there was no response, she asked again.

"Mama? What happened to you and the man?"

All of a sudden, the car came to a screeching halt. (Y/n)'s face met the back of the passenger's seat and she grabbed her left eye, whimpering from pain. She looked up and saw her mother's face was twisted into pure anger.

"Mama? A-are you ok?" (Y/n) asked, her voice quivering from fear. Her mother only shook her head as she took a deep breath in, pressing on the gas gently.