Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part 1)

"(Y/n)? (Y/N)!?"

Rohan rushed over to her side and scooped up her limp body in his arms. His first instinct was to check her pulse, and when he did, he was relieved to find that she had one, even if it was faint. Rohan would've let out an eased sigh, but her sporadic breathing, which went from large gulps of air to quick, choked breaths, kept him from doing so. Not to mention, she was burning up immensely from her fever.

"Come on, please wake up." Rohan muttered as he gave her body a gentle shake. He got a response, although it was one that he didn't want. Rohan felt the blood from her eye leak onto his hand, and now he was more distressed than ever.

"(Y/n)..." He didn't have any time to waste. Right now, there was one priority, and that was to get (Y/n) to a doctor as soon as possible.

So, in one fell swoop, Rohan ran to the bathroom to grab a towel and wrapped it around her eye, rushed downstairs and out to his car, then reclined the front passenger's seat and buckled (Y/n) in. Before he sped off to the hospital, Rohan glanced over at the nine-year-old, watching her chest rise up and down with every pained breath she took in. In an attempt to reassure himself and (Y/n), he gave her head a gentle stroke, then proceeded to drive off.

"Hang in there (Y/n), you'll be ok. I promise."

                                                                                       <><><>

"And...perfect."

Inside of a doctor's office sat a picture frame that protected a memory of a boy and his family from being lost with time. In the photo, the boy, who was five years old, sat on his mother's lap and pressed a stethoscope against his grandfather's chest. Anyone looking at the photo could see that their smiles held so much love for each other, a love that inspired the boy to speak these words:

"Mama, Grandpa, when I'm older, I'm going to become a nurse! I want to help people who are hurt and sick smile again!"

When looking at the photograph, one may ask the question: who exactly was the boy? Why, it was none other than Josuke Higashikata, a person who inspired many in Morioh for his compassionate and allegiant spirit. He was also quite famous in his hometown for his hairstyle, one that people either deemed as suave or completely foolish. By the way, whoever told him the latter often ate their words after.

It was the first day of Josuke's work-study, where he was taking his first steps at Budogaoka Hospital to achieve his dream of becoming a nurse. As he finished polishing off the picture frame, his mind began to wonder about the day ahead of him. Josuke felt great excitement knowing that he was going to have the honor of reuniting patients with their lost happiness, like his grandfather, Officer Higashikata, had done before his passing. However, this excitement did not come without its anxieties.

Tomoko Higashikata, Josuke's bold yet endearing mother, creaked open the door to her office and peeked her head in. She expected the creak to catch Josuke's attention, but she found that her son's gaze was instead fixated on the family picture. Tomoko's face fell into a bittersweet expression, then she walked over to Josuke and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Hey Josuke, how are you feeling?" Tomoko asked. Although, thanks to a mother's intuition, she already knew the answer. "It's a big day for you! Are you excited?"

Josuke snapped out of his daze and looked up at Tomoko with a gentle smile. "You bet I am!" He exclaimed, hoping that his voice didn't show any signs of unease. However, the look on Tomoko's face told Josuke that she caught on, so he changed his answer. "Well, at least I think I am..."