Chapter 5

Faith posted her video with a nice time stamp of 1 hour and 5 minutes. And exactly 1 hour and 5 minutes later, her phone rang. It wasn't a real phone call though, it was from Snapchat and it was Nick. She didn't answer but after 4 more calls, she finally answered.

"What?" she spat.

"You don't want to fix this? Are you serious? There's no way that I've hurt you that bad?"

"Nick, I know in your heart you don't think it was that big of a deal, but for me it was the biggest heartbreak ever. I prayed so many times that I would wake up and you would be there and everything would be fine. After a while, I started praying that I would wake up and not be related to you. Then, that night in 2016, when you finally saw me and how much I was really hurting and you promised you'd show up and take me to lunch. I let myself believe that you would really come-"

"And I wanted to, so bad Faith."

"If you wanted to then why didn't you ever try and reschedule when I texted? Or just reschedule on your own terms?"

Nick stopped for a minute, she had a point. He never did try again, why didn't he? "I- I guess I don't really know."

"Yeah, and that time it was you shutting me out not the other way around."

"I'm sorry, I know those words don't mean a lot to you right now but-" Nick didn't know what he was trying to say, "I just want to make things right." He finally came up with.

"Nothing's stopping you," Faith whispered, she was letting her guard down just a little. Just enough for him to see that she was willing, willing to take the rest down if he was really willing to try.

"Do you mean that? Like really mean it?" Nick said he was hopeful and ready to do whatever it took to make amends.

"You have to promise you won't break my heart again. If I let you in this time you have to promise you'll stay."

"I promise. I'll buy you a plane ticket and you can come and stay with us for a week," Nick said, lunging for his computer.

"No, no. I don't want to be anywhere near Joe. We'll meet up when you guys are back from the UK and we can just spend time as the two of us."

"Ok, I understand," There was a long pause. "He'll come around."

"It doesn't matter to me. I've lived practically my whole life pretending he didn't exist, I don't need him."

Nick wanted to say something but he didn't want to break all the progress he just made with her so he didn't.

"Well, I'll be counting the hours till we're home and we can start getting back on track."

"Bye Nick," Faith said.

"I love you," Nick said and then Faith ended the call. She went into her phone and unblocked Nick from her contacts.

Faith
Baby steps, ok?

Nick
Baby steps