Chapter 30

~Chapter 30~

A few days had passed and I was delighted to see dad had taken my advice on board. He and mother were nowhere near perfect but I could see they were both trying. They'd even gone on a date together the night before last to celebrate New Year's Eve and had come back smiling, arm in arm — something I hadn't witnessed in almost a decade.

The warmth that blossomed through me at their happiness was second to none and I carried that joy as I walked down the bustling London streets and noticed a gym across the road that was packed with people. It was January 2nd today and since the new year had just begun, I wasn't surprised at the sight. People were trying to make good on their New Years resolutions that they would undoubtedly fail before the month was over and attempt again next year. It was an endless cycle that I too was guilty of but the thought made me chuckle

I hadn't known that gym was there before today, seeing as this wasn't a location I frequented. However, I was following a map on my phone, trying to locate the address Axel had sent me that morning with what I hoped was moderate success.

Brooklyn and Joey had become fast friends so I was taking my little sister to Axel's home so they could play together. Despite this meet-up being primarily to drop off my sister, I couldn't help the butterflies dancing in my stomach. I had never been to Axel's home before, had never met any of his family — save for Joey — and had never experienced his world.

We hadn't spoken of our kiss since it happened last week yet our texts and calls had taken up a flirtier tone. We were dangerously toeing that line and our chess match had continued. I was intrigued to see how today would play out, seeing as Axel had said I should stay over for the day as well.

After a few wrong turns and the help of a kind older lady who had curly salt and pepper hair, tan skin and was dressed in a bright pink cardigan, we finally managed to find his flat, number 17.

I rang the doorbell, Brooke holding my hand extra tightly as we waited for a response, as if she too was nervous about today, be it for a far different reason than mine.

It was Joey who answered the door with an excitable look on his face that he'd probably been donning all morning. His honey brown eyes, akin to Axel's, shone as they beheld Brooklyn. He pulled her inside, bidding me a quick greeting before the two of them were running into another room. I hadn't even had the chance to blink.

That left me awkwardly standing in the doorway, unsure of what to do. Was it rude to just step inside?

Thankfully, I was spared from making that decision by Axel walking into the room, flashing a model's grin when he spotted me lurking in the threshold, gesturing for me to come inside as he plopped onto a tattered grey sofa with a satisfied sigh.

The flat was cosy and warm, heating up my icy skin from the January chill. The room was narrow with faded, flower-patterned wallpaper lining the wall to the right where the kitchen and dining area stood and to my left was the living area where Axel sat, waiting for me to join him, his eyes shifting to the TV remote as he decided what to watch.

By the time I'd shrugged off my gabardine overcoat and sat down, I could've sworn there was a faint blush on his cheeks. "I know it's not much," he murmured, his hands gripping the remote more tightly than before. "But it's home."

I let my eyes briefly scan the rest of the flat. Yes, it wasn't big but every single inch looked like it had been lived in and loved. From the numerous scattered toys beside an ancient bookcase, filled with endless titles ranging from children's to fantasy to classics; to the figurines on the slim, wooden shelf; to the worn yet colourful rug below the four-seater dining table crammed into the far right corner.