Chapter 10

~Chapter 10~

Paris had always been one of my favourite cities. The bustling atmosphere coupled with the history and beauty of the place never ceased to amaze me.

Before today, I would have confidently told anyone that I had done almost everything possible to do in the city, from the general tourist things like visiting the Eifel Tower to partying at raves in underground warehouses to joining in on public marches and protests.

However, one thing I never thought I'd experience was being inside of a Parisian jail room with a toddler crying in my arms, a child doing a jigsaw puzzle next to me, a policeman snoozing at his desk and a guy pissing into a bucket in the corner of the confined space.

How did this happen? One word: Zack.

~*~*~

It all started at eight o'clock this morning when I had heard banging at my hotel door.

Today was my one day off so, naturally, since I didn't get many of those, I planned on sleeping in. Of course, Zack had other plans when he showed up at my door, grinning like an idiot with my niece, Olivia, in his arms and our little brother, Carter, by his side.

He knew if he brought Carter I wouldn't be able to refuse to spend the day with them because I had a massive soft spot for the kid. He was a redhead like me, although I was pretty sure his hair would become much darker as he grew up. It had already darkened significantly since the last time I saw him but he was still the same adorable little brother I remembered.

Carter was the calmest in the family and I'd always thought he had an old soul even if he was only nine. He was a triplet to my brother Noah and sister Brooklyn and it was obvious he was the peacemaker out of the three. Although, he did make an exception when it came to terrorising my oldest brother, Nathan, alongside Noah. He just couldn't resist and I didn't blame him; Nathan was fun to piss off.

Apparently, Nathan was in Paris as well as Zack, Carter and Olivia to support mum and I for the next week. He had to help mum today though so Zack had agreed to watch the kids and let me tell you that was not a good idea. He was terribly irresponsible so there was no way I could leave him alone with them. I'd be lucky if they all made it back in one piece if he was supervising.

So, I had reluctantly agreed to go out with them for the day to help him babysit — that, ladies and gentlemen, was my big mistake.

"Let's show them around the city, it'll be so much fun," Zack suggested once we'd left my hotel room.

"Or we could take them to Disneyland."

Zack's eyes seemed to glow at my suggestion and he nodded vigorously. I laughed at my brother's excitement, getting my phone out to check the train times. Honestly, he was more childish than the kids.

~*~*~

"Harper, can we get ice cream?" Zack asked once we'd been moving around the park for about an hour.

Partially ignoring Zack, I smiled at Carter, who was looking around in excitement at all the things going on around him. Tugging on his hand that was clasped around mine, I pulled him out of his trance and gained his attention. "Do you want ice cream?"

He smiled, showing all of his teeth except for one on the right that had fallen out two days ago. "Yes please but can we go and talk to Goofy first?"

I nodded at him, encouraging him to talk to the character standing no more than three metres away from us. "Looks like you'll get your ice cream after all, Zack."

He fist pumped the air before lifting Olivia up into the air and spinning her around. "We're getting ice cream, Liv-liv," he chanted at her while she giggled, waving her hands about wildly.