Chapter 1

*DISCLAIMER: if you've read RFC please don't spoil anything about Harper's past for new readers*

~Chapter 1~

It took around half an hour before we made it to the club situated near the centre of New York City and I could hear Maddison groaning beside me about how we were late but her complaints just made me laugh as we paid the taxi driver and stepped into the cool night air, the chilly wind nipping at my exposed legs.

"You panic way too much, Maddie," I commented as we walked to the front of the ridiculously long line formed outside the club, the music already audible.

She shrugged, tucking a strand of brunette hair behind her ear self-consciously when she heard the shutter of camera lenses from behind us.

"Harper! Harper King, over here!" Some of the voices called but I paid them no mind, used to the incessant pester that was the paparazzi. That was why we'd chosen the club we had. It was pretty secure, bodyguards everywhere so they couldn't get in to disturb us.

"Tell us about Damien Beckett, we heard you two were getting rather cosy a few weeks back," another voice shouted as we neared the front of the club. That particular comment irked me slightly but I didn't let it show, instead just smiling as if it were any other day.

The bouncer let us both right in when we reached him, not even needing to check the list and we hurriedly headed inside, not wanting to be out in the cold or near the paparazzi any longer.

"I've texted Winter. She's with Liam by the bar and they got here half an hour ago. I told you we were late," she huffed, tugging me forcefully by the hand to the bar in the middle of the club.

"I never said we weren't but it's my birthday so they can't be annoyed at me," I pointed out, almost tripping over in my heels thanks to the dangerous speed Maddison was moving with.

She shot me a playful glare, an obvious smirk on her face. "Oh so now you're acknowledging your birthday are you? Guess that means you're actually going to have to enjoy yourself and by that I mean we're getting hammered," she concluded with the clasping of her hands as we reached the bar, both of us spotting Winter immediately. With that silver-blonde hair of hers, she was never one you missed, couple that with her icy blue eyes and she was impossible to ignore, resembling a true snow princess — she really couldn't have a more fitting name.

"Hey Winter," I called out, both of us striding over to where she was sitting. "Sorry we're late. Work ran over like usual."

"No problem," she waved off, handing both Maddison and I a glass of scotch. "I figured as much so thought we should start the drinks early. God knows you both need it."

I rolled my eyes at her and Maddison scoffed but still downed her drink in a matter of seconds. "Thanks for that, Winter, but I think we both know Harper needs it way more. I mean, she chose to work on her birthday, absolutely crazy," she remarked, ordering some shots.

"Where's Liam? Maddie said he was with you," I asked, swiftly changing the subject.

"Oh right, I'm not too sure. We were just chatting then suddenly he got a text and disappeared just before you guys got here. He'll probably be back in a few minutes though, you know what he's like," she said with a fond roll of her eyes.

"Speaking of Liam, has he popped the question yet?" Maddison asked, handing both Winter and I what I assumed was vodka.

"What? This again, Maddie? We're both twenty-two, calm yourself. I don't want him to propose anytime soon," she said but there was a faint blush on her cheeks, telling us otherwise. We both gave her knowing smiles to which she just blushed harder. "Seriously guys, I mean it."