Chapter 13

~Chapter 13~

Winter Fallow was one of my best friends and I'd like to think I knew her quite well. So when she called me at six this morning to make sure I'd be on time for her show later I knew something was up.

Today Winter's new line was releasing and she was holding a fashion show in the evening to show everything off.

It was obvious that she was worried about the upcoming responses but I couldn't shake the feeling that something else was wrong. Ever since I had spoken to her and Liam two weeks ago she'd been acting strange.

Most people would assume it was just stress but I knew better. However, my speculation could wait. Right now Winter's fashion show going perfectly was my top priority.

I was going to head to the venue in a few hours so I could help Winter out and maybe ease her stress slightly but there were a few things I had to get done first.

Most of it was simply mundane routine like buying groceries and doing the washing but there was one thing I'd almost forgotten about: mailing an outfit to that girl I'd met at the cinema with Axel months ago, Bella.

Axel had asked me why I was extra nice to her that day but I'd waved him off. Subconsciously, I just felt the need to look after her. I knew why but it wasn't something I had wanted to delve into with him at the time. Some things were just best left unsaid; it was easier that way.

~*~*~

"Boo," Axel said from behind me, grabbing my shoulders and making me jump.

"God, Axel. Are you going to do this every time you see me?"

He shrugged cheekily, a mischievous twinkle in his eyes that I didn't like one bit. "That depends."

"On what?"

"If you carry on being so easy to scare."

I scowled playfully at him. "I guess that means I'm going to have to get you back then."

"If you can..."

"Challenge accepted, Knight," I said, flashing him a devilish grin and he chuckled.

Axel, Liam and I were all modelling for Winter tonight and even Maddie had come for moral support. The show was starting in about half an hour but I hadn't had the chance to speak to Axel until now.

Our awkward encounter from a few weeks ago was, thankfully, quickly forgotten and it'd only been a day or so before we went back to texting again, said day left in the past and never mentioned. Although it was clearly the elephant in the room, it didn't seem to really bother either of us and I was happy keeping it that way. I just didn't have the brain capacity to look into it any further. There was already far too much going on.

Feelings would have to wait, indefinitely.

~*~*~

I threw back a shot, slamming the glass on the wooden surface in front of me without a care. "See, Win, the show went perfectly. Don't stress. Just relax and read the responses in the morning. There's nothing you can do now," I told her, handing her a shot of vodka.

She eyed the liquid uneasily, shaking her head at me. "I'll try Harps but you know I'm a worrier."

When it was obvious that she wasn't going to take the shot from me, I shrugged and downed it myself, feeling the buzz in my mind strengthen, the world around me momentarily going out of focus. "Worrying isn't going to change the outcome. Besides, the show went great so there's nothing to worry about."