Coming Out {27}

“AYYY SEXY LADY!” Gav sang, skipping next to me as we walked the track in gym.

                But I wasn’t paying much attention to him. My eyes were locked on Collin, Josh, and Alex as they made their way up to the track.

                Collin was gripping Alex’s hand, making it quite clear that he wasn’t going to let Alex wander off to walk with me today. Collin’s eyes were searching for me.

                When he finally spotted me, the hate in his eyes had me shrinking back a little. Aw man. I was proud of Alex for being rebellious, but I was also terrified for my life now.

                “He won’t do anything,” Gage said, noticing me. “Not with Alex right there. He’s mad, but not mad enough to kill you and wreck his relationship with Alex.”

                “Oh that’s comforting,” I groaned.

                “Hey, cheer up Mr. Grumpypants! We’re going to be at my house tonight, after all!” Gav said brightly, patting me on the back. “I even have The Legend of Zelda that I borrowed from you 2 years ago! Maybe you can help me beat it!”

                “Gav, I beat that game by myself when I was 7. You’ve had it for 2 years and you’re not even half way through it yet,” I pointed out.

                “Well we’re going to fix that tonight. Duh,” Gav said, rolling his eyes at me as if I were stupid.

                “Red nails and a butcher knife. I don’t care cause she’s looking fine. She’s a good way to die,” Gage sang to himself as we began to walk again.

                He glanced around the gym. “Where’s my cousin?” he asked.

                “Rose had a lesson this period,” Gav said, smiling a little.

                I dropped my gaze to my feet, guilt eating at me. Guilt because I still loved Gav when I was trying to get with Alex. Guilt because I hated seeing my best friend so happy.

                Gage glanced at me and grinned, as if he could read my thoughts. “Tonight should be fun,” he said casually.

                The day sped by and soon, the final bell was ringing. I hadn’t talked to Alex all day, despite trying to. Collin seemed to be glued to his hip.

                I shut my locker and looked around, wishing I would spot Collin and Josh without Alex. But, of course, there the three of them were.

                They were standing at Collin’s locker. Collin was talking to Alex and Josh. I saw Alex’s eyes darting around the hallway quick, probably in search of me.

                “Trav? Come on, let’s go!”

                I jumped a little and turned to face Gav. He smiled brightly at me, Gage standing behind him impatiently.

                “Yea, I’m ready,” I mumbled, glancing back at Alex one last time before following my friends out to Gav’s bus.

                I sat down in a seat and Gage sat next to me, leaving Gav to sit by himself. I was secretly grateful for that. I was already depressed enough not being able to talk to Alex. That last thing I wanted was for Gav to sit and talk to me about how happy Rose made him.