Coming Out {11}

“Hey Rose…can I talk to you?” I asked, going up to her at her locker.

                She smiled at me and nodded, slight curiosity in her eyes. “Of course you can Trav. What’s up?” she asked, shutting her locker.

                I motioned her into an empty classroom and shut the door. I ran a hand through my hair and sighed.

                “Um…do you have a date to senior ball?” I asked, silently praying that she would say yes.

                She shook her head, a slight blush creeping onto her cheeks. It made my mind flash to Alex, but I shook that out of my head. Now was not the time to be thinking about Alex.

                “Well…I know someone who really, really wants to go with you,” I said, smiling weakly despite my disappointment that she was free.

                “Who?” she asked eagerly.

                “Gavin Drake,” I said.

                Her face fell and she raised an eyebrow at me, looking upset. “That’s not funny Travis. Gav’s a pervert. Did he put you up to this? I hate being his joke sometimes. He takes it too far, like right now.”

                I shook my head wildly. “Rose, he really likes you. He knows he takes it too far with you and he knows you don’t take him seriously anymore, which is why he asked me to talk to you. He really likes you and wants to go to the ball with you. Look, I know he can be oblivious, perverted, and an asshole at times, but he really is a great guy. If you went with him, I know you wouldn’t regret it. He would treat you right. He wouldn’t be the oblivious, perverted asshole. He would be Gavin Drake, a caring, funny, and romantic guy,” I said seriously.

                Rose sighed and stood up. “You really care about Gav, huh? I guess I’ll give it some thought. But he needs to man up and ask me himself, and prove that he won’t be the way he normally is.”

                She came over to me and hugged me tightly. “You’re a really good guy Trav.”

                I hugged her back before releasing her. She sighed again and twirled a piece of hair around her finger before heading over to the door.

                “Gav is a good guy and all but…I was hoping someone else would have asked me. Still, he’s got a chance thanks to you,” she said before leaving the room.

                I stared after her in confusion. Huh, I wonder who she had been hoping to get asked out by. I hadn’t been aware Rose even liked anyone like that.

                I left the classroom and wandered around until I found Gage and Gav standing in the hallway waiting for me. We walked to my bus and sat down together.

                “So?” Gav asked eagerly, basically bouncing in the seat.

                “You’ve got a chance. But you have to prove yourself,” I said.

                Gav let out a triumphant yell and tackled me against the seat in a hug, earning a few stares. He ignored them and gave me a huge grin.

                “Travis Blake, I fucking love you!” he cried happily.

                I couldn’t help but smile softly. He seemed so happy. I just wanted to see my best friend happy. He deserved it.