prologue.

March 30, 2020
Ten years ago
Mystic Falls, Virginia

BONNIE BENNETT entered the police station, her steps hesitant as she tried to figure where she was going and why she was even here

"Excuse me," a man in a police uniform asked her, "Are you Bonnie Bennett?"

"Yes," Bonnie answered, "That would be me."

The man frowned, "I'm sorry to bother you this evening, but you were listed as her only living relative."

She grew confused about who he was talking about. As far as Bonnie was concerned, her entire family was dead, except for her mother.

"I'm sorry, who are you talking about?"

The officer pointed to a young girl sitting beside a desk. She was no older than Caroline's twins which left Bonnie feeling oddly concerned. She noticed the dried blood covering the girl's clothing.

"Her name is Natalie Bennett," the officer said, "Her mother was Victoria Bennett. She had you listed as her emergency contact, said you were her sister."

Bonnie's eyebrows raised. She had a sister? Given the last name, she figured that Abby had another daughter that she had never spoken about. She sighed, but didn't openly express her confusion to the officer, "Can I speak to her?"

The officer nodded and led Bonnie over to the girl, "I have to warn you, I think she may still be in shock. She lost both her parents and she hasn't cried once."

"What exactly happened to her parents?" Bonnie asked as he led her over to Natalie.

"We aren't sure exactly what happened. The neighbor just reported a loud noise, almost sounding like an explosion. When we arrived at the scene, we found her sitting outside covered in blood," the officer explained, and Bonnie had already come to the conclusion that whatever happened had to be supernatural. Maybe the work of a witch.

"How old is she?" Bonnie asked.

"She turned seven last month," the officer told her, "Can't imagine what she's going through."

"Me either," Bonnie said softly as she stood feet away from Natalie. The younger Bennett glanced up at Bonnie before shyly dropping her gaze to the floor.

Bonnie took a step forward, kneeling before Natalie. She forced smile as she tried to ignore the blood on the girl's clothing.

"Hi, my name is Bonnie," she said, "I'm your aunt."

"Hi," Natalie greeted her, not meeting her in the eyes instead, she kept clenching and unclenching her hand. That's when Bonnie noticed the photo that Natalie was holding.

"What's that you've got there?" Bonnie asked, and this time Natalie looked up from her lap. Her little legs stopped swinging as she handed Bonnie the picture. Bonnie took it with a smile and then looked at it, ignoring the drop of blood on the corner.