forty.

CELESTIAL | 31.2
"YOU ARE MY MOM"
LIFE WAS SO MUCH EASIER WHEN I ONLY CARED ABOUT MYSELF

NATALIE'S EYES DANCED AROUND THE BAR, looking anywhere except for Klaus

NATALIE'S EYES DANCED AROUND THE BAR, looking anywhere except for Klaus. She could feel his eyes on her, watching expectantly, as though he was waiting for Natalie to speak first. Finally building up the courage, she looks at the man seated across from her.

"This is a nice bar," she says awkwardly, "I've been here before, you know in the other world."

"Have you?" Klaus asks, "That's quite interesting. It was my favorite bar when I was in the other world."

"Cool," Natalie says with a nod, "Do you like it here?"

"It's better than where I was before. I guess I have you to thank for building it."

Natalie shrugs sheepishly, "It was a group effort."

Klaus chuckles, "Not one for small talk, are you?"

"I'm usually less awkward than this," Natalie says with a sigh, "I'm also readjusting to the whole humanity thing."

"You went dark, it happens to the best of us," Klaus tells her, "It was the first time. It probably won't be the last."

"It doesn't change the fact that I hurt a lot of people and I can't even fix it. I mean what's the point of being the most powerful person if I can't fix it?" Natalie asks and Klaus's face softens as he looks at her.

"You can't linger on the past or you'll never move forward. What's done is done and sometimes there's nothing you can do to fix it, but at the end of the day you did what you had to do for love."

Natalie shakes her head, "I know that, but everyone else-"

"They'll understand," Klaus tells her before tilting his head, "Well maybe they won't, but I will. I do."

Natalie laughs softly, "That's because Hope is your daughter."

Klaus nods with a wide smile, "That is true. Frankly, when I thought of Hope's love life, the niece of Bonnie Bennett was the last person I expected her to end up with."

"The daughter of Klaus Mikaelson was the last thing that I expected as well," Natalie says, "But Hope, she understands me, and I understand her and hurting her was the last thing I ever wanted to do and maybe I went to the extreme to protect her, but I felt it was my only option."

"No need to explain to me," Klaus tells her, "I understand. And as a father, I'm thankful for that. As someone who has made questionable choices to protect his family, I have to tell you that there's no going back to who you were."

"I know," Natalie answers, "I just don't know if Hope is going to forgive me. Or Josie for that matter."

"The people close to you always do," Klaus tells her, "Rebekah, Kol, Elijah, Freya, hell even Finn. We've all hurt each other more times than I can count, but at the end of the day we forgive each other because that's what you do when you love someone."