Chapter 13

Charlotte 

It's been nearly a week since Luke and I last talked. 

I've been avoiding Derrick all I can, but to be completely honest, he doesn't seem all that bad.

And as for my classes, they're the usual.

Boring.

Stupid.

Makes me want to stab myself.

I've also been avoiding all campus parties.

I spend all my time outside college when I don't have classes.

My mother's coming to my apartment tomorrow, and I don't even know if I'm ready.

I haven't been touching much, so the apartment is nice and clean, but I mean emotionally ready.

My mother has always been one to see through the fake smile and cheery tones.

Lately, I've just been cooping up inside and trying to figure out everything that's going on.

I'll be honest, I miss the way life was. When I was happy, with not a care in the world.

*Flashback*

"Char!" Jenna, my best friend, screamed.

It was the beginning of fifth grade, and Jenna was the new girl in school. She and I immediately clicked and became inseparable.

My father was standing outside, waving to her and smiling.

My mother was inside baking cookies and making spaghetti.

My life was perfect.

Jenna and I talked about boys, school, and what we'd do together in middle school and high school.

We talked about what we wanted our future to look like.

Both of our parents were always very supporting, and pushed us to do our best.

She and I were always part of the top of the class.

*

In freshman year, we were still best friends.

There wasn't anybody or anything that could tear us apart.

I knew all her secrets, she knew all of mine.

But it had been just last year when my life had crashed down around me.

All I focused on were grades.

If I could get into a good school and get a good job and live a good life, then my tragedies wouldn't seem so...tragic.

It was the only way I could think of to move on, because obviously I wasn't the type to try drugs or alcohol.

Even though I wasn't depressed, just temporarily sad-

Jenna nearly slipped into depression. Because of me.

I blocked her out.

We stopped talking to each other, and she was my only friend. That was my second tragedy.

Because my first tragedy, is the way I lost my father-

*Flashback End*

The sound of loud chattering in the hallway outside my apartment snapped me away from my thoughts.