Chapter 8

Charlotte 

I feel upset and overwhelmed.

I look around at all the decorations in my room. I have to admit however, it's nowhere near overdecorative.

There's one painting of a beach above my bed, a picture of Paris next to the bathroom door, a picture of my mother and I on the nightstand, and a vase on the kitchen table.

Ugh, that's right. I still needed those white roses.

I'll deal with those later.

I still had an empty frame that could fit a picture left in the box. It didn't have a picture in it. I didn't know what to use it for yet.

I was honestly so done. My neighbor across the hall was aggravating, verbally aggresive, closed minded, rude, and yet I could see so much potential in him.

I knew he was kidding when he said he'd be more surprised if we didn't bump into each other than if we did whenever he leaves his apartment, because I've seen him in the back lot and on the street about four or five times already.

He's always out wandering or in his black Infiniti car at random times of the day, and I've always taken notice to how he leaves at no set time at Skyline.

I just wanted to know him. And I would do just that. Hopefully soon.

*

As I walk into Skyline on Friday morning, the atmosphere around me has completely changed.

Michael is clearly distracted from work, Ashton is hiding a smile behind his monitor, and Julie pretty much looks like she's in love with the white wall in front of her.

I grab a donut and take a seat.

"What's going on?"

"Michael's in love!" Ashton pretty much yells.

Michael turns a deep red, and as I turn to look at Julie, she's still staring at the wall.

"That's so cute!" I exclaim. "Did you ask her out?"

Michael nods, scratching the back of his neck. "I uh, also got her a pet kitty."

Ashton leans forward, whispering, "Michael loves kittens more than his hair."

I squeal. "That is so exciting. How'd you ask her?"

Michael groans a little bit. "I just finally got the guts to ask her out to dinner. It's not a big deal guys. Can we just let it go?"

Ashton starts singing the chorus of "Let It Go" and I would've slapped him since the movie came out a year ago, however, his voice is too wonderful to stop him.

"You're amazing at singing," I compliment.

"Thanks." He says, giving me a small smile.

Michael is suddenly glancing over my shoulder, and when I turn, Julie and Michael are smiling at each other.

I feel my donut dropping straight down to the pit of my stomach, boiling with jealousy.

I wish someone could look at me this way.

*

Tyler doesn't look at me once this entire workday. And let me tell you, I am beyond relieved.

What if he asks me on a date again? What if he asked me what I did after he took off? What if he asked me if I called a cab or rode home with someone?

I wasn't prepared to answer these questions.

I didn't exactly despise Tyler, but I didn't like him.