Chapter 39

Charlotte

"Me? What about you? You were the one who killed her father!" Luke suddenly yells.

My eyes widen even more, and it takes all my energy to stand on my feet. "What the hell? Explain." Had I really heard Luke correctly? This wasn't one of those stupid lies people say to catch other people's attention?

"I promise I will, if you come with me. Tyler will interfere and add lies." Luke says, sending a glare Tyler's way.

I don't even hesitate as I grab his hand and get the hell out of that house.

I get into the passenger side door, and Luke quickly follows, putting the car in ignition.

"Spill." I demand, crossing my arms.

"Remember the day I told you my story?" Luke says, driving away.

"Of course I do."

"Remember when I said I was in LA before I went to New York?" He whispers, turning off the radio.

"Yes. Get to the point." I say. I was in no mood to have this drag.

"Okay, okay, fine. Your mother made me promise to tell you, so I might as well anyway. She thinks I killed your father. That's why she hates me. That's why the day I met her there at Central Park, she didn't even want to look at me. That's why she tells you to avoid me. That's why she's so bitter towards me."

All the puzzle pieces were connecting now. It all started to make sense. I remember everything clear as day. That's why she tried so hard not to give the two of us a chance.

"She thinks you killed my dad? Well, did you?"

Luke shakes his head vigorously, pulling up into the parking lot. "Hell no. Michael also thinks I did. They all think I'm a murderer, and I'm dating the victim's daughter. But that's all a lie. Tyler was the one who killed him."

Honestly, I'm speechless. What do I even say to this information? My father was everything to me.

"Tyler's the one that killed him." Luke repeats. "Derrick didn't kill him, I didn't kill him. Derrick isn't a murderer. I know, surprising, since he said that he'd kill you. But if you haven't realized, I've relaxed the signs of affection. He called me while we were in London, the night Michael slept in our room. He said he wouldn't do anything to you. He was genuinely sorry."

"Are you sure? Lots of people don't change like that." I say, fidgeting with my fingers again. I didn't trust Derrick at all. And now I don't think I can trust Tyler either. I was alone in his house, where he was capable of killing me. That's why Luke didn't want me with him. Especially alone.

He shrugs. "And that's why I wouldn't let you go to Los Angeles. Derrick told me that Tyler was planning to kidnap you before you reached the Reynolds' house, and kill you."

I start trembling. I feel so vulnerable, so targeted. "K-kill me?"

"You're acting as if this is new." He says slowly.

"I don't know. Before, it all just seemed like one of those movies. But I don't know, the thought that, if I really did fly out that day, I wouldn't be here today." I murmur, tears rapidly spilling out of my eyes. This may have pretty much be old news, but it's worse knowing that he killed my father.

Luk gets out of the car, and opens the side door, carrying me bridal style into the building.

I bury my head in his chest, and I wouldn't mind a bit if we could just stay like this for the rest of time. I'm still angry at him. I shouldn't need to force things out of him, but right now, none of that matters.