C~8: Brighter Than A Shooting Star

I wanted to think I had to be on the run for the rest of my life.

I wanted to believe that no one would never like or want me.

I wanted those things so that I wouldn't feel jealous of those who had everything I had wanted. A family, friends, love, a home, a nice warm meal.

So maybe it's God trying to tell me you can't die just yet.

Not yet.

I squint at the light. And feel an oxygen tube rests under my nose. My surroundings come into focus and I realize I lay in a hospital bed. My first instincts told me to try and sit up until a hand pushes me back down "Don't get, you are still healing."

I turn to my right "Dr. C?"

"Yeah, it's me, Eve. Bella's with her mom and Edward so I'm posing as your dad for medical reasons. You were lucky, the glass wasn't deep into your skin only your arms and torso were really damaged."

"And James?"

"He's dead...Jasper told me about the ticket, one of us can stay till your fully healed-"

As Carlisle talks the door opens and Jasper walks in, we share a gaze as he sits down on the other side of my bed and Dr. C continues "One of us can stay till your fully healed and then we can stock you up, get you car, maybe a ticket for an airline..."

The choice of running away still hung in the air, I could easily be free from it all. 

So then the choice couldn't be easier "Dr. C could you call the agency for me and cut off the trial...I want to stay Forks with the family I have." I say. Carlisle smiles at nods as if saying you made the right choice, he stands and heads out "I'll get to it now."

I smile and turn to Jasper who smiles at me "So you're gonna stay?"

I roll my eyes "Did you not hear me? How are we gonna be best friends if I leave? How are we gonna finish that project? How am I supposed to play at prom?"

"Well, I've never seen you play or sing before...how are you feeling."

I smile at Jasper and stare into those golden-brown eyes "Better...now. James is really dead, huh, I thought for sure he was gonna kill after tasting my blood."

Jasper's face turns to one of concern "From you?!"

"No, he said it was the sweetest blood he's ever tasted."

Jasper shakes his head smiling "Take it as a compliment?"

I laugh weakly causing a little pain rake through my body. Part of me really really wanted to be back in Forks, laying on my bed with soft music floating through the air. I missed the day's Billy would be at The Cheifs and I would head over to Emily's so she could help me with my HW. Goofing around with the guys.

The other part of me didn't want to move and to just stay here, talking with my best friend. I sigh and smile at him "So about that paper, I assume we are getting an F."

He shakes his head and pulls out a paper "I started working on it."

I take it and begin to read it "Our project is about the American Values and the history to support them. But that's kinda a problem because you could look at it one way or another, in the last two months of doing this project we've gotten to know each other very well. Well enough to know the American values can be twisted to become our own values."

**************************************************

I stand in front of our history class with Jasper about halfway through presenting our project and I continue "History can not represent our values that we make because we make our own history. Since coming to Forks I've learned that Jasper and I value friendship very deeply, friendship in our family, in our friends, and in our lives. So then when it comes down to it this is just some advice, when you don't know what to do, feel lost or like running. Find a friend because one day you're gonna see that your friend is someone who you can't live without."