Chapter 24

Waiting in front of Mia's apartment building before school, Jack fiddled nervously with the hair-tie in his hand. When he heard the door of the building open, he quickly stuffed it into his pocket.

"Hey, Mia!" He called out.

"Hey~" She replied.

They started walking down the street, but after a few minutes, Jack stopped.

Mia looked up at him to see why he had stopped walking.

"Um... Could you... close your eyes for a sec?" He asked.

Mia looked at him suspiciously. "What are you going to do?"

"Nothing!" He assured her. "I just want to give you something."

With one more hesitant expression, Mia reluctantly closed her eyes.

Jack stepped behind her, pulled the hair-tie out of his pocket, and started putting her hair into a ponytail.

She opened her eyes. "Uh, Jack? What are you doing?"

"I'm giving you this hair-thingy." He stated matter-of-factly.

"You mean a hair-tie?"

"Yeah, that."

She laughed. "Why?"

Jack hesitated. He assumed the reason would be obvious to a girl. He coughed nervously. "Uh... well, you have gym class later, so... I figured you would need one. Don't you need to have your hair in a ponytail for P.E.?"

"I mean, yeah..." Mia said. "But I have a scrunchie in my bag and I was just going to put my hair up later."

Jack blushed. "Well... use this one."

"Okay, why?"

"I DON'T KNOW, DUMBO!" He yelled out of embarrassment. "J-JUST DO IT, OKAY?!" 

Mia stared at him in utter confusion

Mia stared at him in utter confusion. "Okay, okay! I will, jeez..."

Jack huffed, his face still red, and stomped off towards school ahead of her.

"Hey, wait for me!" She called after him. She took the hair-tie out of her hair and put it in her pocket for later before running after him.