Chapter 9

Aren and Mia walked down main street with their backpacks still on. Since the decision to cut school was unplanned, they hadn't thought to leave their bags at home.

Mia looked up at him.

Aren still looked weighed down by what had just happened.

She sighed. "Well, as long as we're not going to school, we might as well stop moping and have some fun," Mia announced.

Aren raised a doubtful eyebrow at her.

"I'm serious," She pressed. "We need to get back to ourselves. We can do this," She said with a hopeful nod, putting her hands on her hips. "We can have fun."

Aren nodded with very little conviction.

Mia stopped, and dropped her hands as if she just noticed something.

Mia furrowed her brows at Aren, glaring at him. "Wait a minute." She said.

He gulped.

"You're not talking again." She stated flatly.

Aren shifted nervously.

"Ohmygosh I'm right, aren't I?!" She exclaimed "You've gone back to the silence thing!"

Aren started to open his mouth.

"What kind of friends don't talk to each other??" Mia continued. "I didn't notice because I'm so used to it, but you aren't even REALLY replying to my suggestions! You're just reacting to them and I can read your facial expressions because we spend too much time together!" She pouted dramatically and crossed her arms.

Aren let out a deep but genuine little laugh. Mia was cute when she pouted, he thought.

Mia stopped pouting. "Well, at least you finally laughed again," she said with a shrug.

	They kept walking and decided to go to a diner

The waitress seated them in a quiet corner booth.

"There ya go," she smiled. "Nice and private for the lovely couple," she said with a wink.

Mia sputtered. "N-no! We're not- I mean, this- this isn't a date," she stammered with a nervous laugh.

Aren shot Mia a slightly annoyed look.

The waitress laughed. "I'm just teasin' you, Darlin'." She said warmly.

Mia gave another awkward laugh. "Heh heh... right, of course..."

After looking over the menu, they ordered. Their food came out soon after, and once the waitress walked away again, Mia started plotting.

"So here's our game-plan," she said.

Aren looked interested.

"After we eat, we take a bus to the ice-rink. We rent some skates and I totally show you up at ice skating," she teased.