Chapter 16

When the lunch bell rang, Mia was particularly relieved to have a break. She ran into the courtyard to meet Aren for lunch as usual, but he wasn't there. No big deal. He probably wasn't out of class yet, she thought. She waited. 5 minutes, then 10 minutes went by and still Aren didn't come out. She started feeling dejected and worried. A little part of her, deep down, was scared he didn't want to see her at all, but she pushed the thought away. Of course he still liked her. It's Aren. He wouldn't just abandon her... right?

15 minutes went by. She stared sadly down at her hands as she sat alone at the lunch table under the sun. Emily didn't have the same lunch period as her today and Mia didn't feel like going to chat lightheartedly with her casual class friends at a different table. So she sat alone. Until, suddenly, someone held a popsicle out right in front of her face. She blinked at it for a second as she processed the object just inches from her face. Someone had quietly walked up next to her without her noticing. Her heart leapt, and she looked up eagerly, expecting to see Aren standing there. It wasn't Aren. It was Jack. He was standing there awkwardly, but casually holding out the popsicle with one hand while eating his own popsicle with the other.

Mia deflated. She couldn't help but be disappointed.

Jack shook the popsicle in front of her impatiently. "Go on, take it." He said coolly. "You're bumming me out just sitting there like that."

Mia slowly reached up and took the popsicle from him. "Thanks..." she said quietly.

Jack raised an eyebrow at her. "Hoping to see someone else?"

Mia looked up quickly shaking her head. "No, no... just surprised, that's all."

"Right," Jack said doubtfully. "What? Did the freak boyfriend not come today?" He sat down lazily next to her, putting one leg up to rest his arm on his knee. He looked out over the courtyard.

Mia said nothing.

Jack looked over and noticed her genuinely upset expression. He put his leg down and stiffened. "Hey, I'm just messing around..." There was a hint of concern in his tone.

"No, it's not that," Mia assured him. "It's not you."

Jack cocked his head to one side. "You okay?"

"It's been a while since you asked me that." She said.

"It's been a while since you needed to be asked that." Jack replied.

"Fair enough."

"But for real, you good?"

Mia shrugged. "I guess. I don't know, maybe I'm being stupid."

"Yeah, you do that a lot."

She glared at him.

He gave a teasing smile back.

Mia sighed. "I'm probably overreacting, right? It's probably nothing..."

"Well, I still don't know what's wrong so I have no idea, but I'll say 'sure' if that's the right answer."

"Thanks, Jack." She said sarcastically.

"Any time."

After a moment, Mia spotted Aren walking back into the school building.

"He was out of class!" Mia said in disbelief. "Why didn't he come meet me?..."

Jack's eyebrows went up. "Oh, is that what you're upset ab-"

Mia got up and ran towards Aren before Jack could finish his sentence, leaving her popsicle behind on the lunch table.

"Aren!" She called out.