Chapter 20

Mia arrived at her apartment and almost immediately after she closed the door behind her, her phone rang. At the sound of her ringtone, she had to remind herself not to expect Aren to be on the other end. She looked at the screen. It was Jack. She picked up.

"I just saw you like three minutes ago!" Mia complained into the phone.

"And now you get to hear from me again, lucky you!" Jack replied in mock excitement.

"Not what I meant." Mia said flatly.

"That's why I said it."

Mia sighed. "What do you need?"

"Hey, that's what I was about to ask you." He replied.

"What?"

"I... I was just going to ask if you need anything..." Jack admitted, sounding a bit embarrassed.

"Why would I need something?" She asked.

"You know," Jack prodded awkwardly. "You clearly didn't work things out with Mr. Psycho, so... I just wanted to make sure you weren't about to go all Brittney Spears and chop all your hair off or something."

"Why would I chop all my hair off??" Mia yelled.

"I don't know!" He yelled back. "Isn't that what girls do when they have a mental breakdown??"

Mia couldn't help but laugh a little.

Jack's voice brightened. "Aye, it worked."

"You called just to act like a crackhead?"

"I don't need to act like a crackhead, I am a crackhead."

"Oh, speaking of your stupidity-" Mia looked at the bottle of Sprite Jack had tossed to her on her way out of school. "Did you give me a stolen Sprite??"

"Do you really want me to answer that?"

"Never mind." Mia muttered.

They were quiet for a moment.

"Um..." Mia started to say.

"Yeah?"

"I just... Why are you still hanging around me like nothing happened?" She asked hesitantly. "Didn't you say you liked me?"

"Yeah." He replied.

"And you're okay with just goofing around like this... Even after I rejected you?"

"Whoa," Jack teased. "What, you want me to sit around crying over you? You must think you're made of diamonds or something. Naw, you're not THAT great."

Mia said nothing.

"Mia?... I'm just messing with you." Jack paused. "The truth is... when I said I want to protect you, I meant it. Not just physically. Even if you don't have feelings for me... I can still do my best to protect you this way too... " Jack trailed off. "Agh! Don't make me talk this way! I sound like a simp!"

Mia didn't know how to respond. She was too taken aback.

"Uh, hello?" Jack said into the phone. "You still there?"

"I'm still here..." Mia whispered.

There was more silence.

"Actually-" She added. "There is something you could do for me... if you feel like it."

"Just as long as it doesn't involve the police, I'm in." He replied.

Mia continued. "It's going to be a little weird walking to school alone tomorrow, so if you feel like walking-"

"Say no more, Dumbo," Jack interrupted. "I'll be there."

"Please stop calling me Dumbo."

"Never."