First Day

Insadong is the beating heart of Seoul's contemporary art scene, and the alleys that jut off from the main street are its arteries. Insadong-gil, the neighborhood's main thoroughfare, is lined with galleries, tea shops, boutiques and spaces for rent. It had been a perfect decision for Yoo family, to stay peacefully in this place and bought a carriage house that Jeongyeon worked hard for. At first, her wife, Nayeon wanted a Town-Home like shelter but Jeongyeon had the point of having a larger house with a backyard shed at the back so that their little child could play around the environment comfortably, and so could their Pomeranian as well.

(Actually Insadong is filled with teashops and the houses' roofs are traditional.)

It was worth it, now that they are living harmoniously and smooth. Their little child, Chaeyoung couldn't agree more on having this place. The four-year old child loves to do the bird watching every early in the morning. Sometimes, playing catch ball with Kookeu, their lovely Pomeranian. Its light brown fur looks so fluffy and is so handsome when he's finally got the chance to be groomed. At night, Chaeyoung often wears her red beanie and her strawberry designed jacket as the protection from the cold wind while watching the stars above the night sky with her mom, Nayeon. The little girl's lucky when Jeongyeon went home earlier from work, the latter would join them and witness the sparkling stars together.

One day, it was a bright day and the temperature is above twenty degrees, Nayeon was found chopping the carrots with an amateur speed. She suddenly remembers how Jeongyeon laughed at her because she was holding the knife upside down to cut the strawberries. She even cut them too much almost wasting half of each fruit, and her wife's face showed an obvious expression that she's utterly devastated. They were just newlyweds that time, so it was just the beginning and there is always a room for improvement. The woman sighed as she thought of that memory. Not long after, she carries the chopping board and slid the chopped carrots down the mouth of the casserole pot. But before waiting for the soup to be ready, she asked her wife to look for their little girl, because it's already her bath time. Jeongyeon was found focused, watching the football tournament behind the flat screen when Nayeon called her.

"She's in her room, please make her go with you and take a bath." Jeongyeon pecked her wife as the response for that favor. Her wife flashed a wide smile after that. The latter took her time on stepping up the stairs to check if the little girl's in her room but unfortunately she wasn't. "Chaeng?" Jeongyeon even pulled the closet door, maybe the girl is playing hide and seek with her mom. "It's really quiet here, she's not around." Jeongyeon then scoot on to their room, then back to the living room, until she reached the backyard. "Oh my god Chaeng, you're just here. I was about to combust, I thought you're lost." The mother who was looking for her child all the time left a sigh of relief, the child didn't look at her instead she was still watching the insects flying around, she was with their dog jumping beside her.

"Mom! Mom! What are those?" Chaeyoung asked still not turning her back for her mother. She looks so excited, wanting to catch one as she tried to reach it with her small bare hands. With her sharp sight, she was so mesmerized with it's two large compound eyes which take up most of its head. It has long, delicate wings, its abdomen has a shade of green thorax, like a mountaindew can and its body is as thin as a needle. Jeongyeon sat beside her daughter and at the same time, grabbed Kookeu and let it sit on her lap.

"Dragonflies." Jeongyeon raffled Chaeyoung's hair, the latter got annoyed for awhile but it was altered with gladness before sitting on Jeongyeon's lap too.

She hugged her mom so tight while watching the dragonflies. "I want to catch one mom." Chaeyoung looked at her mom flashing her dimple and begging eyes. She looks so cute that Jeongyeon can't even contain her uwus. "Hmmm..." Jeongyeon was brooding of something, she suddenly remembered Nayeon's task for her. "We'll get one if you'll take a bath first." Jeongyeon tapped the little girl's nose, it was so gentle and of course the latter can't help herself but to jump out of excitement. "Really?! Yehey!" She was even the first one who stood up and pulled her mom on the way to the bathroom.