Chapter Twenty-Eight

The date was Monday, February nineteenth. The time was three o'clock in the afternoon. The place was in the piano hall, in the practice room. I was locked in. Pretty much trapped.

"This isn't really necessary," I said, narrowing my eyes at the two boys in front of me.

Paul squared his jaw at me. "It's for your own good, Allie."

"We need to do this," Elliot agreed solemnly.

"But I don't want to," I complained, banging my fist on the piano keys, making it screech.

"The Nationals are in two months. You have to at least choose your song, Allie," Paul responded, taking a seat on the piano bench next to me. "Do you have any idea what you want to play?"

"Row, row, row, your boat?"

Elliot smacked my head.

"Ow! It was a joke!" I grumbled, rubbing the spot.

"You've made it this far Allie, you can win," Paul said encouragingly.

I turned to face him, sliding back a little when I realized how close he was to me. "I don't know..."

"You're staying here until you decide on a piece," Elliot said flatly, dragging one of the spare chairs over to the piano. "Paul and I will take shifts if we have to."

This made me smile. "Aw, you guys really do believe in me!"

Paul nodded, placing a hand on my thigh. "You're one of the best, Allie Cat. It'd be an honor to have you play with me, so you have to win."

My cheeks warmed up and I quickly removed his hand. "Uh, yeah."

I could almost hear Elliot rolling his eyes.

"How about Bach?" Paul asked. "Do you like Bach?"

"Ehh, not feeling Bach."

He almost looked offended.

"Just want a change from the classics," I added on quickly. "So no more Chopin either. I want something fun."

"Brahms then?" Elliot suggested.

I shook my head. "No."

"What kind of fun do you want?" Paul questioned. "Name some pieces."

I thought for a moment. What did I want to play? This was the Nationals. I couldn't choose something lame. I started prodding at the keys, seeing what pieces came to mind. Naturally, when I thought fun, I started playing Hungarian Rhapsody number 2. Only the most simple, basic part, because it was the only part I knew.

Paul grinned and immediately jumped in with me. Easily we found a pattern that fit so we could play it together. And it was fun. For a few moments. Then I realized just how good Paul was— every key he touched sounded like magic. And then it came to a part I didn't know and I had to stop. Paul kept playing, sounding beautiful, and hitting each increasingly difficult note with ease. I felt a sense of panic. The people I'd be going against in Nationals were going to be this good. Way better than me. It was a fluke that I won Winter Wonder.

"Okay show-off," Elliot muttered.

"It's a fun song, that's what you were looking for, right Allie?" Paul asked, smiling widely at me. "I think it's perfect."