Chapter Thirteen

"How's it going?"

Starting, I twisted around on the piano bench to face the door and intruder. Elliot leaned against the frame, his arms crossed. Giving him a small smile, I shrugged. "As good as I can get with a week to work with."

Crossing the room, he came to stand next the piano, frowning. "What piece are you playing again?"

"Chopin's Nocturne in G minor," I told him, rubbing my forehead, "and yeah, I know it's pretty overused, but I don't really have enough time to learn anything more difficult... I already know most of this piece."

"Play it for me," he ordered.

I wrinkled my nose. "I don't—"

"Auditions are tomorrow after school, Allie. Let me hear you play," he demanded, narrowing his green eyes at me.

After puffing my cheeks out of him, I huffed, turning back to the piano. "I always mess up near the end, so..." No response came, so I began to play the piece, swaying slightly to the melody. Near the end, my hand slipped where it always did, and I grimaced. "Damn!"

"Use the pinky of your left hand to hold the flat note," Elliot instructed, taking my hand in his. "Like this... and then with your right thumb, hit the note you were hitting with your right pointer finger last time. Then move your pointer finger over."

It was a good thing he was guiding my hands, because his words weren't making any sense to me. Fortunately, the hand motions did, and the transition between the notes came more smoothly to me. Elliot instructed me to play the part again, and this time I was able to sail through it. Incredibly grateful, I beamed at him. "Thanks, Elliot. You're a lifesaver."

He shrugged nonchalantly. "It's rude not to help out an idiot."

"Hey!"

A grin spread across his face. "Just kidding."

For a second I stared at him, my heart skipping a beat at the handsome smile on his face. "You should smile more," I told him, feeling a grin of my own appearing on my lips. "It's very handsome."

His face instantly twisted into a scowl and a light blush dusted his face. "Shut up!"

I laughed. "You're so cute!"

"Call me cute again and I'll break your fingers."

"No you won't."

"Try me."

I stared at him for a second, pursing my lips. He scowled back at me threateningly. Deciding I'd rather not chance it, I kept my compliments to myself. "Can I hear your piece?" I inquired, changing the topic.

"No."

"Aw, come on! I showed you mine!"

Shaking his head, he crossed his arms. "You'll see it when I play it."

"Pretty, pretty, please? I begged, putting on my best puppy dog look. "Please Elliot?"

Turning his back to me, he shook his head. "No."

"If you don't play, I'll go around and tell everyone that you enjoy collecting cute women's panties," I threatened, barely holding back my smirk.

Pivoting back around, he glared daggers at me. "Fine!"

"Good!" I responded, sliding off the mahogany piano bench and patting it. "Have a seat, my fine feathered friend."