Chapter Ten

"Do you want to go to the zoo?"

I blinked, staring at Paul from across my apple-cinnamon Cheerios. "What?"

Folding his newspaper down, he tiled his head to the side curiously, his green eyes piercing into mine. "I asked if you wanted to go the zoo."

"The zoo...?" I echoed unsurely.

"That's what I said... twice now."

I gave him a sarcastic look. "I know that. I just mean why?"

Shrugging, he took a small sip of his coffee. "I don't know. I just feel like visiting the zoo today. Come on, it'll be my treat."

"Is there even a zoo around here?"

"Well, no... there's the mystic aquarium though. We can go there."

"That's in Connecticut," I pointed out.

He stared at me blankly. "So?"

"Isn't it kind of far...?"

"Only about an hour away."

"But it's Saturday. Won't it be crowded? What if someone sees us?"

Frowning, he placed his paper on the table. "What about it? It's not like we're dating or anything. And I highly doubt anyone's going to be down there."

I hesitated. "But..."

"You can drive."

"Let's go," I said immediately.

A smirk crossed Paul's face. "Ah, I see I've found your Achilles' heel."

"You have a hot car."

"I do, don't I?" he agreed shamelessly, pushing back his chair and standing up. "You finish eating and I'll go shower. We'll leave in about half an hour."

Nodding, I slurped up my Cheerios faster, knowing it took me ten times longer than Paul to shower and dress myself. I was a girl, after all, and the only time I was able to wear normal clothing was the weekend. I couldn't waste an opportunity to wear a cute outfit.

Forty-five minutes later I hastened down the stairs to the front hall, where Paul was waiting. His eyes were shut, slender arms crossed, with his back against the door. I paused for a moment, taking in his lean figure, from his ungodly white sneakers, to his messy brunette hair. His legs were clad in dark washed jeans from a label I'd never be able to afford in my life, while his torso was covered by a dark green sweater. I knew immediately it would bring out his eyes.

My theory was proven instantly the moment his bright green eyes snapped open. He offered me a friendly smile. "Ready? You look cute."

"Um, yeah," I mumbled, sending my eyes downcast, caught off guard by the compliment. My hands played with the hem of my powder blue knit top, something I thought might help add color to my plain grey eyes.

"Ready to go then?" he questioned, and I heard the jingle of keys.

Glancing back at him, I realized he was offering them to me. Excited, I snatched them from his hand and brushed by, swinging open the front door and stepping into the brisk November air. "Lock the door behind me, Paul."

"Why?" I heard him complain. "No one—"

"Paul," I interjected, tossing him a stern look from over my shoulder. "You trust people way too much."