Chapter Eleven

Monday morning I woke up at four o'clock. Every fiber in my body protested at my early rousing, but I forced away the wariness, slipping on my school uniform. In order to not alert Paul of my plans, I'd taken a shower the night before so I wouldn't have to in the morning. After brushing my hair and throwing on light makeup, I snuck out of the house, my schoolbag in hand.

And promptly ran into a masculine-feeling body.

My eyes shut as my jaw knocked on the other person's shoulder painfully. Two strong, firm hands grabbed my shoulders and my thoughts instantly went to my night stalker. Just as I opened my mouth to scream, a panicked shh was sent my way. "Don't scream! You'll set Lucky off and wake up the whole neighborhood!"

Confused, I stepped away from the person, opening my eyes again. Standing before me (also towering over me) was a sandy-haired man with panicked, bright blue eyes. Judging by his structured jaw, but boyish face, I presumed he was a few years older than me. And very handsome.

Suddenly realization hit me. "Oh! You're Paul's neighbor! Sam, right?"

"Uh, yeah," he responded, surprised I knew him. His eyes appraised me for a moment, a playful smirk crossing his face. "And you're one of his students? Oh man, that is bold. Taking home a student."

At his words, a fierce blush crossed my face. "What? No! No, no, no! I'm not... that. No. I live here."

Sam's eyebrows rose. "Taking the next step? A little young aren't we?"

"No," I snapped, wishing away the blush on my cheeks. "I meant, he's a family friend and he's watching me. We're not... No."

"In other words, you're single. In that case, my name's Sam, I'm twenty, and very pleased to make your acquaintance," he said, offering out his hand.

Hesitating only a brief second, I placed my hand in his. "Allie Heywood."

"Well then, Allie, what are you planning on doing sneaking off at four in the morning?"

"Why are you returning home at four in the morning?" I retorted.

His lips twitched up. "I don't think you want to know, but I'd be happy to tell you if you want. It involves a lot of alcohol, the back of my car, and two gorgeous girls—"

"I'm good," I interjected, holding up my hands. "Too much information from someone I just met."

Chuckling, he nodded his agreement. "Yeah. But, I'm beat, so I'm going to go crash. By all means you're welcome to join though," he added, giving me a once over.

Though tempted to roll my eyes, I just smiled. Paul hadn't been wrong when he'd described Sam as a womanizer. "Sorry, I have school. As in high school."

"Of course," he grumbled. "All the good looking ones are always the jailbait."

Now I laughed, nodding my head. "Sure seems like it, huh?"

"Be on your merry way then, Allie. I'll probably be seeing you around... if you plan to sneak out at four AM again."

"Not really," I replied honestly, "I never plan to wake at this ungodly hour again."

Sam grinned again. "S'not that bad once you get used to it."

"Right, well, I'm going. Have a nice nap." After waving once, I started down the driveway again.