Elliot [Part One]

Elliot's POV

⠀"Air France from New York to Charles de Gaulle boarding now. Please have your flight passes out and ready to be checked."

⠀I clicked my phone lock and slid it into my pocket, standing up and gathering my luggage. A few of the people around me stood as well and I followed through the terminal to a flight attendant that helped us board. My phone vibrated in my pocket and I immediately pulled it back out, annoyed when I realized it was just a text from Harley.

Have a safe trip. Oliver and I miss you already!

            ⠀I frowned and clicked the lock again. Her text wasn't the one I was waiting for.

            ⠀Fortunately my spot sat against the window, so I shoved my luggage above me and slid across the row to my seat. Planes made me a little nervous, but my mind was a little too preoccupied to really feel any anxiety.

            ⠀Allie's face flashed in my mind and I closed my eyes as a feeling of embarrassment washed over me. I'd confessed and been rejected. Of course, I knew I was going to be rejected before I even thought of telling her. Paul had always had her heart. I was foolish to ever think otherwise. I knew it from the beginning, but I'd let my feelings continue to grow. I did this to myself.

            ⠀I crossed my arms and looked out the window. The plane was noisy as the rest of the passengers settled in. If Allie were here, it'd be even louder.

Stop thinking about her, I scolded myself. But it was impossible to not think about her. No one had gotten under my skin like she had. No one had tried to get under my skin like she had. She'd crept her way into my heart and now I was left alone to deal with it.

Maybe things will go sour with Paul...

             ⠀I clenched my fist. No, I wouldn't want that. Paul and Allie belonged together. It was sickening to see how well the suited each other. Even if he was a scrawny man-child...

            ⠀My chest hurt— an unfamiliar ache. I figured it was because of her; my life had changed in many ways because of her. I myself had changed because of her. It was hard to imagine what it was going to be like to go without seeing her almost every day. Of course I'd miss her, but I couldn't admit that to anyone. Only Allie needed to know my feelings.

            ⠀My phone buzzed again and I tried to play it cool for approximately five seconds before I went straight for it.

Have a safe flight, Elliot! I'll send you all of the updates of what's going on between Allie and Mr. Russet! :P

            ⠀I scowled a bit. Why, again, had Allie given Aspen my phone number? Screw off, I typed back to her.

            ⠀I went back to my messages and scrolled down to Allie's name. Should I text her? I wasn't sure if I'd be able to receive messages once we were in the air. I didn't want to wait to find out if she'd won Nationals or not. I had no doubt in my mind she would blow everyone away, but I still felt antsy. I knew how much she wanted it. I wanted it for her just as badly.

            ⠀What if I came off as needy, though? Would she think I was heartbroken and becoming clingy? Deciding I didn't want that, I put my phone down again. I could wait. She'd text me when she had time. Unless she was with Paul... would she even think of texting me? Or maybe she'd forgotten about me already?

             ⠀"You're crazy," I muttered to myself. I wasn't acting like myself. I needed to get over it.

            ⠀"Talking to yourself is the first sign of craziness," a voice from above me commented.