Chapter 9- Pinky Promises

I wake to the shuffle of my roommates feet scurrying against out tile floor. 

"Shit.. Uh I didn't mean to wake you I just got in." She says pouring two cups of coffee. 

"It's all good, I should be up anyways, gotta start job searching." I yawn and stretch before gliding over to the warm mug full of coffee awaiting my exhausted lips. 

"Job search? What happened to your job at that bookstore?"

"Quit."

"Should I ask?" 

"It's no big deal really, they treated me poorly for long enough." 

"Well i'm sorry to hear that, but I have some great news!" 

"My book was published and i'm making millions as we speak?" 

"Ha.. Your time will come for your fame and fortune, but enough sarcasm. I got you a present and it also happens to be the good news I have for you." 

"Should I be scared?" I gulp the rest of my coffee down and pour a little more in my cup.

"No you should be beyond excited and unbelievably grateful to have such a great roommate!"

"Well then tell me, oh great and powerful roommate." 

"I got you tickets to your favorite band! Midnight Resistance! You'll finally get to see them in concert and i'll get to see the dreamy lead singer!" She gleams and hugs me. I hug back, fighting an urge to cry. 

I contemplate telling her about Corbin, apologizing a thousand times for the trouble of her buying tickets for me, and then staying home to cry and sleep, but I am strong and I know I can make it through one concert without trouble. 

----------------------

"Hey you ready yet roomie?" Brianna yells through my door. 

"Just about, give me a minute." I yell back, earning a 'hurry up' from her. 

I straighten out my t-shirt and start to get a wave of discomfort again. Why me? I put my phone and wallet in my purse, running out of my room towards Brianna. 

"You look amazing." I say smiling at her. 

"Thanks, are you sure you don't wanna borrow a cute dress or a blouse from me?" 

"I'm fine, thank you though."

"Okay well lets go!" She grabs my hand and runs toward the door. 

---------------------

"That was our final song of the night." Corbin speaks solemnly through the mike, he seems off. 

The crowd boos and begins to shout encore. They played 15 songs and all were amazing as usual, but something was missing. Corbin seemed exhausted, his eyes had dark bags around them, he wasn't his giddy, normal stage self. He motions for the crowd to stop shouting. 

"I'm sorry guys, i'm feeling a bit under the weather, but i'll play one last song." The crowd roars with excitement.

"It's a new song I wrote about a girl." He looks down at his feet then back at his mic. I gasp and a few people turn and look at me so I hush myself. 

"This girl is very special to me.. Was very special to me. And I know she'll probably never hear this, but I live on hope, and i'm helplessly hoping for her to hear this and come back to me." The crowd aw's and he grabs his accoustic guitar as the rest of the band exits the stage. He strums the first chord and I already feel like breaking down and crying. I silence my thoughts and truly listen.