Ch. 32: Together at Last

A Few Days Later...

July 17, 1191

“Is he going to be okay?”

“I do not know for sure. He was badly hurt in the fight. He may very well be dead.”

“Don't say that, Malik! He is still breathing! Besides, the others will be devastated if he dies.”

“I’m sorry. I do not mean to be negative about this, Alexandra, but-”

“Wait a minute! Look! He’s waking up!”

As I slowly began to regain consciousness, my dark eyes slowly began to open, hazy at first but slowly becoming more and more clear as time passed by. The lightheadedness that I had felt had disappeared and was replaced by fatigue, as if I had been sleeping. My vision was blurry for a brief moment, but once it cleared, I found myself staring at a ceiling above me. It looked I was in some type of recovery room or something, possibly at the Assassin's Bureau. I was not exactly sure, as I was unable to look around, but I tried not to worry so much about it for the time being. Slowly, I turned my head to one side, blinking a few times in order to see who was there. My gaze fell upon the familiar figures of Malik, Alexandra, and Ada looking over at me. Their expressions appeared to be relieved, though the expressions of Alexandra and Ada were more relieved than Malik. standing by my bedside. Taking a quick look around, I made the confirmation that I was, indeed, at the Assassin's Bureau.

“What…what happened?” I asked, my voice hoarse from not being used for what I assumed was a long period of time.

“You lost a lot of blood and passed out,” Alexandra explained.

I looked back at her, noticing her blood stained attire, but said nothing about it and slowly nodded. Then, a single thought came to mind.

“What happened to…to Abel,” I asked.

Ada smiled down at me, moving closer to the bed.

“Altaïr, he’s dead,” she said, smiling as if the world had been saved. “You killed him. Do you not remember?”

I blinked, giving her a confused look at her words.

“What do you mean?” I asked. “I was not the one who killed Abel.” My gaze fell. “Though it should have...”

Both women gave me confused looks now.

“What do you mean you did not kill him?” Alexandra asked.

“It is just as I said,” I told her, glancing back up at her. “I saw Abel die, but it was not I who had ended his life.”

The girls looked at one another for a moment before looking back at me.

“But if it was not you, then who killed him…?” Ada asked.

It was then that I heard a voice I did not expect to hear ever again.

“I did.”

My ears perked up as we all looked over at the door. For a moment, I could have sworn that my heart stopped at the sight that stood before me. There, standing at the door and leaning against the frame, was Cynthia herself. She had a smile gracing her thin lips, as if she had never been injured or killed at all. It was as if everything that had happened never took place. She was alive, and she looked livelier than ever. She had a few patches here and there from a few injuries that she had sustained along with the bandages that shielded her cleavage due to her supposedly life threatening injury. Still, she looked as if she never went to battle at all. She had on some loose garbs – a loose grey top and some ragged pants – and she had bandages on her stomach where she was bleeding (possibly from the wound Diana inflicted on her), but she still looked well. She looked just as astonishing as the last time I saw her.

I stared at her for the longest time, shocked and surprised to find her standing there as if nothing ever happened; only the bandages and the scars were the permanent reminder of the events that took place. No words were able to escape my lips, though it was clear that I wanted to say something. She simply smiled at us before walking over to my bedside and sitting down next to me, her eyes locked onto me for what seemed like forever. I watched her every move, adoring her even more with every graceful step she took.

“You killed Abel, Cynthia?” Alexandra asked, surprised to hear the sudden news from her friend. Oddly, she was not as surprised as I was to see that Cynthia was still alive.

Richard's daughter glanced at the Hungarian, allowing me take notice to her hair being pulled back in a low ponytail, and nodded.

“Yes, I was the one who had killed him,” she said. “I was able to stab him from behind before he had a chance to kill Altaïr.” It felt strange, yet soothing, to hear my name escape her lips again.

“I don't believe it!” Alexandra exclaimed. “I was right all along! Altaïr is rubbing off on you!”

Cynthia giggled at her words, while I lied there, a small smiled gracing my lips as I watched her as if she was the most wonderful sight in the world. She, then, looked back at me and returned the smile that I had on my face, her green eyes just as loving and compassionate as the time I saw her in Damascus. Deep down, I knew I had missed that smile just as much as Malik missed his brother. It felt like I had not seen it in so long, long enough for me to become addicted to it. I could see it in her eyes that she missed me, too. I knew she had longed to see me again, and prayed for me to awaken from what I believed was some sort of comatose state. In other words, she was just as happy to see me as I was to see her.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the others had noticed us staring at one another for a long period of time, smiling at one another, before smiled.

“I guess we will leave you two alone,” Alexandra said as she began pushing Ada of the room. “You both need it after everything that has happened.”

Ada did not protest and left rather quickly, wanting to give us the time we needed. The Hungarian, then, looked over at Malik, who had looked at her at the same time. After a moment, he followed out after Ada, placing a hand on Alexandra's shoulder as if she had done a good deed. She smiled as he left the room before following him out as well. Before she left, though, she looked back at us before smiling. She looked as if she were a parent proud that her child had found someone who would take care of her. After a moment or two of silence, Alexandra left the room, leaving Cynthia and I alone in the room. It was just me and her now – the way it should have been a long time ago.

Cynthia's POV

“Hello, Altaïr.” I slowly muttered to him, my gaze loving.

He continued to stare at me, his gaze locked onto mine for what seemed like forever. I could tell that he was still just as surprised to see me as the others were, and he was trying to take it all in for a moment before actually saying anything at all. I knew he had missed me most of all – maybe about the same as Ada and Alexandra – and I missed him just as much.

My smile grew slightly as I placed my hand on his.

“How are you feeling?” I asked him. “You were really badly hurt and it took a few days to get you all patched up.” My eyes lowered for a moment to his bandages before looking back into his eyes. “I was worried you would never wake up.”

As I spoke up, he slowly sat up, taking his eyes off me as he did so. Worried that he might reopen his wounds, I placed a hand on his shoulder. Before I had a chance to say anything, though, he suddenly embraced me, holding me close to his body. My eyes widened a bit, shocked by his sudden actions. He was not supposed to be moving so quickly with the wounds, yet he moved as if he had never been injured at all. Instead, he held onto me, hugging me as if I was the most precious item in the world. Smiling, I slowly returned the embrace, feeling a single tear running down my cheek as I held him lovingly in my arms. I felt happy again to be held in his arms after what seemed like so long. Even in death, I knew my heart had longed to see him again, to see those eyes and feel his warmth even if it was for just a moment. It had to be a miracle, as if God wanted me to live a little longer. I felt so relieved to know that he was still alive, and that Abel did not get the chance to kill him. My smile grew slightly; I felt so happy that I had saved Altair’s life just in time.

“I have missed you, Cynthia.” Said Altaïr after a long moment of silence, holding me close to him.

“I missed you, too, Altaïr,” I responded as he slowly released me, looking into my eyes intently.

“I thought...I thought Abel killed you,” he said, his voice low. “He stabbed you right in front of me.”

I sent him a reassuring smile, placing my hands on his chest.

“I thought the same thing,” I responded. “But I suppose he just missed my heart.” My smile grew slightly. “I guess it was a miracle.”

He chuckled, shaking his head at my words.

“Luck would be my guess,” he said.

I laughed a little.

“Maybe, but I don't think we'll ever know.”

He laughed at my words before looking deeply into my eyes again, staring into them with a look I had longed to see again.

“I really thought I would never see you again,” he said. My smile faded as I continued to look at him.

“I thought the same thing,” I responded. “I felt so cold, so lifeless. It was as if I were a stone statue.”

I could sense that he had an apologetic look in his eyes at that point.

“Forgive me, Cynthia…”

I glanced at him with a confused look on my face.

“What?” I asked.

“Forgive me,” he repeated himself, “for not avenging you.”

I smiled gently, placing my hand against his cheek. I could tell that he had expressed regret for not killing Abel himself, but I never asked to be avenged. Maybe he thought my death was in vain and wanted to kill Abel so that he may feel that I would rest in peace. However, he did not realize that, without him, my world would have no peace.

“It is alright, Altaïr.” I said. “I am alive. That is what really counts, right?”

He looked into my eyes intently, looking into them as if he were searching for something. Then, he raised his large hand on my medium one, taking in my scent.

“I suppose…you are right...” He muttered in response. “Still, I would have liked to kill him myself. So that you may rest in peace.”

I smiled. How did I know that he was thinking that? I wondered as I slowly moved my legs on the bed, lying right next to him, and leaned against his warm chest as I had done about a week ago. I felt his gaze on me for a brief moment, before his arm slipped around my waist, pulling me even closer to him. My eyes slowly closed, taking in his scent like I used to before this whole thing happened. He smelled just like he used to, but there was a hint of blood in it, something that I, oddly, grew accustomed to. My fear of death and blood had ceased, seeing as there was no use trying to escape it. After all, Assassins should never be afraid of anything, especially not death.

“Altaïr,” I spoke. “If I was given the option of whether you should kill Abel or myself, I would have given it to you not because it was for revenge for the things he has done, but because it would make you think that I would be at peace. But the truth is...” I looked up at him. “The truth is...my world would never be at peace if you were not there to keep it that way.”

He stared down at me before a smile graced his lips. He, then, placed a light kiss on the top of my head.

“I promise,” he said, “that no matter what, I will always be there to give you the peace of mind you greatly desire.”

I smiled as I placed my head on his shoulder, shutting my eyes and sighing contently. We stayed like that until I fell asleep completely.

A Few Weeks Later...

August 8, 1191

“Um...Altaïr?” I muttered timidly as he and I entered through the gates of Masyaf, standing behind him as I looked around what I believed was my new home.

A few weeks had passed since the events of what was to be my wedding and the death of Abel. Things had finally settled down within the cities, giving us the opportunity to take our leave unnoticed. Everyone was able to heal up before making the departure, and Altaïr wanted to return to Masyaf immediately to see the Master. According to him, he had been away for much too long and Malik had done enough stalling. He believed it was time to tell him the truth, the truth that I was still alive and I wanted to be an Assassin. Of course, I would not be able to become a full-fledged Assassin, since his Master – Al Mualim – refused to allow women, but being able to stay there would be better than nothing. Unfortunately, Al Mualim knew I was supposed to be dead at least three months ago. Seeing me alive so suddenly would only bring shame to Altaïr's name...again. When I expressed this, he assured me that “keeping me safe from the Templars would be worth it in the end.” I just hoped he was right about that.

Upon hearing his name, said Assassin looked at me, noticing my timid form as I continued to look around the new environment.

“There is no need to be nervous, Cynthia,” he said. “It is just as I said. They will not hurt you unless ordered to do so.”

I looked up at him.

“But how do I know that Al Mualim won't make that order?” I asked. “He knows that I am supposed to be dead.”

“I will make sure nothing happens to you,” he assured me. “I will do my best to convince him, seeing as you will become one of us.” He paused. “In a way.”

Blinking, I stared up into his eyes. They gave me a look of reassurance, letting me know that he would, indeed, protect me if needed. After a moment, I slowly nodded once. I did not want him to worry, and I certainly did not want to look like a coward. Instead, I inhaled deeply and stood tall, giving myself the appearance of confidence. That was what I had to show in a place like this, filled with Assassins would did not look upon fear too kindly. I fixed my dark hood a bit, making sure that it had shielded my face from view, before looking back at him. When he knew that I was prepared to keep moving, he looked forward before motioning me lightly with his hand to follow close behind him. Wordlessly, I complied as we made our way into the village.

Oddly, it was a rather quiet place, something that stood out to me the most than anything else. Buildings lined the sides and continued up the mountain. We brushed past a large tree that stood in the middle when we entered. There were a few Assassins wandering about along with a few civilians. A few birds fluttered by in the sky, singing their own songs of merriment and peace. Everyone else that lived in this village appeared...normal, despite the fact that every other person happened to be wearing the robes of an Assassin. I swallowed hard as I passed by a few people, who did not seem to take notice to us. That or they did not mind, seeing as we – or Altaïr at least – were their allies, their protectors. However, there were some that made a few glances in our direction. Their gazes appeared confused, unsure as to why Altaïr of all people was walking with a stranger. A few seemed uneasy, as if I were some sort of threat. I could not blame them all that much. After seeing someone that appeared out of the ordinary, I would feel a bit uneasy myself.

Before I knew it, I found myself walking into a fortress like castle with flags carrying the symbol of the Assassins – Altaïr told me exactly what they were. Inside, there was a small training area, where two Assassins appeared to be training with one another. Other Assassins stood around it, watching them battle it out to see who the victor was going to be. I watched them for a moment before looking ahead, continuing my way up to the second part of the castle. It was there that I believed Al Mualim presided, and my ever growing anxiety continued to rise. I began chewing on the inside of my cheek absently. It was probably because of the anxiety that was building, but I was not entirely sure myself. Beads of sweat began running down my face as we entered the castle, entering a room with a huge staircase. A doorway leading outside stood at the top of the stairs and split into two different sides each leading to the top floor. Swallowing, I stayed close to Altaïr as we ascended up the stairs.

“Are you sure that you can handle this, Altaïr?” I whispered to him, my voice sounding worried.

He glanced over his shoulder to look at me.

“I have lived through his wrath many times before,” he responded, his voice low as well. “It is hard to deal with, but I am strong enough to handle it.”

Remaining silent just as we reached the top, I simply nodded once before continuing our way over to where his Master stood. My gaze fell to the floor, watching my feet move one in front of the other, as we passed by an assortment of bookcases. I knew that I was still nervous about meeting this man, but I could not back down now. I had to realize that this is the life I wanted, and doing this will only bring me one step closer to becoming an Assassin. I may not become a full-fledged Assassin, but being here would be best not just for me, but the others as well. We were outcasts, traitors to the Templar name, and we could not go running back to a cause we so desperately tried to escape from. It would be wrong for us to do such a thing so soon. Not when we were all so very close to being free from the prison we have been trapped in for much too long – years I would say.

Then, after a long moment, we suddenly stopped in front of a desk with piles of books and papers piled on it. Two bookshelves similar to the others stood on either side, and a large window was in the center. It was almost as if it was taken right out of a church and stuck here. The sound of pigeons were heard nearby, making me look over to find a cage filled with a few birds. After a moment, my gaze fell upon the dark hooded figure standing in front of the oversized window and staring down at the city below. Before I had a chance to think, I watched as he slowly turned around to look at us, revealing his face to the both of us. It was clear that the man, who appeared to be well into his elder years, was Al Mualim himself. His beard was a bit long, but was white as snow. The wrinkles marring his face gave me a good enough idea that he was, indeed, much older than both Altaïr and I combined. One of his eyes – his right to be precise – had taken a light, hazy blue color, letting me know that he was blinded in one eye. Nevertheless, I knew that he was just as powerful without the ability of seeing through both eyes. He was still able to appear both calm and collected.

Just before the silence was able to set in completely, I watched as Al Mualim looked at Altaïr, his gaze hardening a bit more.

“So you have finally returned, Altaïr.” He spoke. “I expected you to have returned from your second mission a month ago.”

Altair lowered his head out of respect.

“Forgive me for not coming back sooner, Master.” He responded, lowering his head slightly. “I would have returned had it not been for the guards keeping a constant watch.”

“Even with the guards on duty,” said Al Mualim, moving toward his desk, “you should know that you would have been able to slip past them unnoticed. The second tenant, do you remember?”

Altaïr remained silent, but nodded once to let him know that he had remembered the second tenant of the Creed. Al Mualim’s gaze soon fell upon me, causing my body to stiffen a bit. He, then, slowly began walking around his desk, moving toward us with his hands behind his back. His gaze was hard and cold as ice, as if he knew exactly who I was and recognized me. I blinked. Wait...

“You must be Cynthia Richard, am I wrong?”

I felt my face pale, but kept my calm composure. He sounded upset, very upset, to know that I was standing before him. Instead of hesitating, I slowly nodded.

“I am…” I responded, not realizing that my voice was close to shaking. “But...how did you...”

“You do not think I would have gotten word of your survival from word of mouth?” He questioned. I remained silent, barely moving a muscle. He looked at Altaïr. “I assumed that she had lived after hearing from a spy that Abel had requested guards from Richard himself in order to protect both himself and his 'beloved.' Seeing as how soon after Cynthia could have died, I did not believe he would continue on with the wedding unless his bride was still alive.”

“But...” I started, but he raised a hand to stop me. I remained silent.

“Then, I had gotten letters from Malik, telling me that the next target Altaïr was meant to kill – Majd Addin – was in hiding, and he was unable to finish him as I had wanted until Addin came out of hiding.” He shook his head. “I would have expected you, Altaïr, to hunt that man down, whether he was hiding or not, not waste your time waiting for him to appear.” Altaïr said nothing, unable to find the right words in his defense. “When I had gotten word that Majd Addin was dead from Malik a month later, I expected you to return for your next target. However,” His gaze hardened even more, “you did not return until today. Weeks later when you could have returned days after his demise!”

“At least I was able to kill him like you asked,” Altaïr spoke, finding his voice. “I was not going to leave him knowing that-”

“Knowing that you had failed once before?” Al Mualim interrupted. “You thought killing one man was going to be enough for me to forget about her?”

“How could I kill an innocent person, Master?” He questioned. “She has done nothing wrong to bring any harm to her people or to the Order. She is just as innocent as any civilian living in any of the cities.” I sensed his eyes narrow. “The first tenant, do you remember?”

I watched as Al Mualim closed his eyes, seeing how Altaïr used his own words against him.

“That may be,” he spoke, “but I told you before. She had to die in order for you to reach Robert.”

“I would have gotten to him by other means. Taking the life of an innocent, however, is a mistake I choose not to make again.”

Unable to come back with a retort, Al Mualim looked away, turning back toward his desk and moving toward it.

“Why did you bring her here, Altaïr?” He questioned. “You know she does not belong here as much as any other Templar alive.”

“She no longer wishes to be a Templar, Master.” Altaïr said, keeping his head low. “She wishes to be an Assassin, seeing as she would be able to protect her people more than she ever could before.”

Al Mualim shook his head again, turning to look at the Assassin.

“So you think she has changed,” he stated, moving his hands behind his back. “I warned you about what women can do to your mind. They can distract you and make you think they are different, when in reality-”

“Enough!” I shouted. Both the attention of Altaïr and Al Mualim fell upon me. My eyes hardened. “I do not know who had given you the idea that women were nothing but distractions to men, but I will let you know that that is completely false! As a woman myself, I am not here to distract anyone at all, but to serve the Assassins with as much loyalty as I had blindly given to the Templars.”

“How do I know you are not lying, daughter of Richard?” Al Mualim questioned. “How do I know you will not turn your back and betray all of us?”

“Why would I betray a Cause I am dedicated to serving?” I responded. “Nothing in the world would convince me to betray the Assassins.”

Al Mualim turned back to his desk.

“Material things that can draw us in can be enough,” he said. “You may fall for the things you so blindly accepted.”

“If what you say is true,” I spoke, “then why is it that I am here? If I am here, doesn't it mean I have given it all up?”

Al Mualim remained silent at my question. I assumed he was pondering the thought seeing as it was the truth. As he turned back to face the window, I felt Altaïr's hand brush against mine. I looked at him, noticing the intense gaze he was sending to me. It was not one of anger, but of surprise. To know that I was so willing to speak up about Al Mualim's false accusation of women shocked him, especially since this was the first time I had met the man. Nevertheless, I remained true to my word and stuck with it. I was not going to allow him to walk all over women as if we were just objects in this world. I, for one, knew I was no object to anyone. I had felt that way with the Templars for long enough, and I was not going to feel that way here. Al Mualim, whether I became an Assassin or not, was not going to disrespect me as he may have done to other women who have lived here longer than I have. In fact, I was going to make sure he did not treat other women that live here with such disrespect. Seeing as they were here longer, they deserved it a lot more.

After a moment, I glanced back at Altaïr's Master, only to tense up as I watched him lift something off his desk. My heart began beating rapidly as I noticed a knife appear in his hand. I could feel my face turning pale, yet I remained calm and kept my composure (despite the fact that my hands were shaking). I noticed Altair’s hand clench tightly at the sight, but did nothing as he watched his Master turn back around to face us again. I had a feeling in the pit of my stomach that Al Mualim was going to kill me instead of listening to me. He was going to finish me off the way Altaïr should have months ago when he had the chance. However, as an Assassin, I knew that I could not fear death as I had once been in the past. I had to face it head on, take it by the horns, and accept it. Accept it as easily as I had done months ago. When I noticed Al Mualim standing in front of me, I inhaled deeply before letting it out.

“I suppose...you do not believe me,” I spoke. “Fine. Do what you feel is right.”

I could tell Altaïr had tensed at my words, yet I remained focused on Al Mualim, showing him just how strong I was under his intense gaze. We remained in our staring for what seemed like forever before I watched him raising the blade toward my neck. Although my heart was beating rapidly, I remained calm, keeping a straight face and appearing to have no fear. However, instead of ending my life, he simply placed the sharp edge against my neck. He applied pressure to it, but not enough to break skin. For the first time since I had arrived, surprise immediately appeared on my face. Why was he not killing me just as I thought he would?

“You may no longer pledge your allegiance to the Templars, but it does not mean you will become an Assassin so easily.” He spoke. “However, I will allow you and any of your...accomplices...that have joined you to stay here in Masyaf. Betray us, though, and I will be the one to end your life.” I stared at him for a long moment, speechless beyond words at what he was saying. Then, he lowered the blade from my neck, turned around, and walked back to his desk. “You will tell no one of this place. Should you or anyone else do so, and your life will end where you stand right now.” He explained as walked over to his large window. “Be happy that I have considered your stay, but be warned. You will be watched constantly. To be sure you do not deceive us.”

Silently, I looked up at Altaïr, who had simultaneously looked at me as well. He appeared to be just as surprised as I was to see that Al Mualim had allowed me to live. Then, I looked back at Al Mualim, who had returned to the spot he had been in when we arrived.

“Thank you.” I spoke. “ I can assure you I will not fail you.”

He did not respond. I slowly looked back at Altaïr, who appeared to be a bit confused, before turning and making his way out. Wordlessly, we exited the building and began making our way back to the gates, where Malik, Ada, and Alexandra were waiting for us to return. When we left and were sure that Al Mualim was unable to hear us, I was the first to show some sort of real emotion, exhaling the breath the I did not realize I was holding in.

“That was not what I was expecting,” I muttered.

Altaïr looked at me.

“Were you expecting him to kill you?” He questioned.

I nodded once.

“I did. Really, I did. I am still surprised to know that was willing to see me live on despite my past.”

It was there that he stopped me by taking hold of my hand. I looked at him, taking note to his gaze turning to one that I had loved dearly. Silently, he took the lead once again, leading me out of the stronghold and over to the edge of a cliff that overlooked the village that was Masyaf. Eyes widening a bit with surprise, seeing as how the sun was setting over the horizon, I took in all of the sights that it had to offer. The sight was calming to me, almost as if the world was, finally, at peace. This was something I had longed to see. It was a sight I would cherish for the rest of my life. This was it; this was my new home. A place of peace and majesty, a place where I can finally relax and enjoy life as I had wanted to do for so long. This was the world that I wanted throughout the land.

Blinking, I looked up at Altaïr, who had looked back down at me. A small smile graced his lips as he pulled me closer to him. My gaze looked out at Masyaf as his hands fell upon my shoulders, sending a shiver down my spine.

“Your past is no more, Cynthia.” He whispered in my ear. “You are an Assassin now. From here on, your future will be what is important to you. To us.”

Smiling, I turned my head to look up at him, staring into his eyes with all the love in the world. Then, I moved up to gently brush my lips against his, bring us into a loving and passionate kiss. One that I had wanted to feel again in what seemed like years.

Life as an Assassin, as someone who was going to make a difference in life, was going to be very different from living the life of a Templar. I knew that for sure. However, I was once the target of Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad. Had it not been for him, I would not have realized just how horrible the world really was turning into over time. How ruined it had become. When I thought about it, I was glad. Glad to have met him, glad to have fallen for him, glad to have become the target of his heart.