Ch. 2: Abel

Cynthia's POV

"What is it that you want, Abel...?" I spoke in a blunt tone of voice as the guard and I approached my fiancé, resisting the urge to be rude but instead refusing to refer to him as any term of endearment. Said dark haired fiancé turned around to face me, obviously sensing my presence and hearing my voice, just as I stopped walking. The guard that had escorted me bowed low before slowly walking off, returning to his previous duties. Smiling warmly, he slowly started walking up to me, happy to see that I had arrived. My eyes narrowed with disgust at that smile.

For as long as I could remember, I had always hated that kind, gentle smile of his. Even from afar, I knew it was nothing but a white lie. Unfortunately, no else was able to see it as well as I had in these passing months. He looked as if he were an innocent young man laying eyes on his dear fiancé, but I knew he only pretending to be the loving soon-to-be husband my father wanted. Hell, he was pretending to act like the leader everyone wanted, needed, and praised. People believed he would be a much suited King for the land, but whenever I told them about what he was really like, selfish and self-centered, they did not believe me. Well, only a few people believed my words, as they were very skeptical of Abel’s much too nice personality toward everyone he came into contact with. Others, on the other hand, simply refused the idea or thought I was just wrong or nervous for the wedding. It was difficult to comprehend why they did not want to believe me, but I did not think about it very much.

"Cynthia, my lovely soon-to-be wife!" Abel’s tone was filled exuberance and love while that smile danced across his face. It caused my chain of thought to be broken before I continued to glare at him. When he approached me, he immediately pulled me into a small embrace. "It is good to see you again, my dear."

I did not return the embrace, and simply continued to stare him down like a warrior ready to strike down the enemy. Sensing my anger and annoyance, he pulled away, keeping his hands on my shoulders, and looked me in the eyes with his ocean blue eyes.

"Why do you not look excited, my love?" He questioned, his eyebrows furrowing. "It is your wedding! You should be very happy."

I looked away from him, shrugging my shoulders harshly in the process in order to remove his hands.

"I thought I was going to be happy," I said, glaring into a different direction that was not him, "but instead, I am marrying you. A man who only cares about himself and his money."

He blinked once at my words, once again playing innocent.

"I have no idea what you are talking about, Cynthia," he said, his eyebrows furrowing into a somewhat saddened and hurtful expression.

"Do not play dumb with me, Abel," I growled, sensing his little trick coming into play. "You are just acting like this, so kind and gentle, because there are people around us. You are only doing this just to keep my father and everyone else happy. They all think I am going to be happy if I marry you. But I am not happy! At all!"

Abel stared at me for a long moment, dumbfounded by my words, before saying, "But Cynthia, I am doing my best to keep you happy, but with the arrangements and whatnot, I have been very busy." He placed a hand on my cheek in a loving manner, yet it made me shrink back. "I greatly apologize if I am not around to keep you company like you want, my love, but I want tomorrow to be perfect just for you."

I rolled my eyes in disgust as I slapped his hand away.

"You are so stupid," I hissed. "I do not even know why my father is forcing me to marry someone like you."

"Because he thinks I am a great man and will make you happy and keep you that way while he is gone.” I sensed a small smile growing on his face, one that was filled with all the lies that I had been told over the months. "I truly do love you, Cynthia, and I would not do anything to hurt or displease you. I only wish to make you happy like your father wishes."