Ch. 7: The Assassin's Trust

Three Nights Later...

May 12, 1191

I silently paced around my bedroom, shivering slightly from the cold coming in through my open balcony doors. I rubbed my arms from time to time in order to keep myself warm, but it was not helping all that much with the ever present breeze that continued to ravage within my room. Three days had passed by, long and anxious days, and I had not seen Altaïr since the night he came to see me. I had been patient all three days, distracting myself with other things such as daily patrolling, in order to keep my mind busy and off the Assassin. Oddly, though, I was unable to fall asleep. For what reason, I was not entirely sure, but I decided to pace around in an attempt to tire myself out. To be honest, I was anxious to see him again, but it was not the reason behind why I could not get any sleep. It was strange, really, to know I was unable to get some rest. Maybe all of the waiting was finally taking its toll on me, resulting in my inability to fall asleep in order to deal with the next day. I sighed as I sat on my bed, a warming sensation filling my body at the thought of him, wondering what it was that he was up to. I recalled the feel of his hands against my skin – so warm and so comforting – and how it stole my breath away. Just thinking about it warmed my body and soul, so much that I was no longer rubbing my arms. It was strange to admit myself, seeing as how I had only just met him, but seeing him again was something I looked forward to. I wanted to see him again, so that I would at least get some sleep in the end.

After another moment, my face fell into my hands as I sighed once again. It had been a couple of hours since I decided to stay awake and wait until I became tired. Unfortunately, based off the position of the moon, it was almost midnight. For a while, I believed he was unable to make tonight due to the duties of an Assassin. Was he unable to come due to some circumstances that involved the Assassins? Maybe, I thought. It's possible that something could have come up when he was gone. Nevertheless, I was determined to wait a few more days if that happened to be the case. I never gave up hope when it came to seeing him again, and prayed that things would turn out well for him. I could not give up hope, not when things were starting to turn around for the better. The look in his eyes told me he was not joking or lying to me about returning. The look in his eyes told me was truly serious, that every word he spoke was true to the very core.

My hands fell to my sides with frustration as I got up and walked over to my window, my silky nightgown flowing quietly behind me along with the breeze that entered the room. When I was close enough to the door, I stopped and leaned against the opened door frame and stared up at the sky for a long moment, watching and taking in the moonlights rays and the stars twinkling in the sky. The night was eerily quiet, too quiet for my tastes, and it started to bother me a little. Something felt very off as I stood there scanning the area, almost as if someone were watching my every move from a nearby distance and keeping an eye on me. Before I could find out, though, a cold breeze brushed against me. Shivering, I inhaled deeply before sighing with content. It was a peaceful setting and a calm feeling that overwhelmed me. After a moment, I sighed and walked back to my bed, keeping my head held high. If was unable to arrive tonight, that was all right. I was not going to keep myself up waiting for him to come back. Besides, what were the odds of him even wanting to return?

“I told you I would be here, did I not?”

I jumped at the sound of the unexpected voice, nearly falling onto my bed with shock. Quickly, I turned on my heel to see him appear from the darkness, the rays of the moonlight revealing his once hidden form. Upon seeing him, I felt my body relax.

“A-Altaïr.” I spoke, trying to calm my riled nerves. “How long were you standing there for?”

Altaïr shrugged absently.