Ch. 22: Abel in Damascus

"How could he be here?" Questioned an enraged Alexandra, walking toward him but stopping after a few steps, "There is absolutely no way he could have found us!"

Bernard shrugged and said, "I do not know how it is possible, but it is. Amal came to warn me that he just entered the city, about thirty guards behind him." A short pause. "She told me to get you out of here and head to Damascus."

Altaïr growl with anger at those words.

"There is no need do that." He walked past me hastily. "I will kill him myself."

As he spoke those words, I threw my arms around him, holding him tightly.

"No, Altaïr!" I exclaimed, my voice shaking a bit. "I won't let you go! Not again!"

"He needs to be stopped, Cynthia," he responded. "I will finish him off once and for all."

"But what of the other guards?" I countered. "They will overpower you and take you away again!" I gripped his robes tightly. "I can't lose you again, Altaïr. I won't..."

He looked over his shoulder, staring down at me, and remained silent. I looked up to stare at him for a long moment, showing him how I truly did not wish for him to go. However, before anyone had a chance to say anything, a loud knocking sound resonated throughout the building. I flinched and released Altaïr, who looked forward once more. Without a word, Bernard swiftly ran out of the room and down the stairs, Alexandra and Ada following suit. My heart began pounding against my chest as I tried to keep myself calm. Unfortunately, it was not working, and I found myself placing my hands against my face and breathing deeply. A pair of arms soon wrapped around my shoulders, yet I did not protest as I knew it was Altaïr. For a long moment, it grew silent for a moment as the sound of the door opened. Then, voices began to speak.

"Amal!" I heard Bernard's voice exclaim with relief, making me relax a bit in Altaïr's arms. "Dieu merci, vous êtes bien!"

"I was able to stay out of sight until I made it here," Amal's voice entered. "Fortunately, none of those bastards saw me." It got quiet after that for a few seconds before Amal spoke again "Where is Cynthia? Is she alright?"

"Yes, she is okay." Ada spoke up. "She is in her room right now with Altaïr."

"Good," Amal sighed with relief. "We have to get her out of here and make our way to Acre."

"What about Diana?" Ada questioned.

"We are not taking her with us this time!" Alexandra retorted harshly. "Forget it!"

"But we can't leave her here! She may have been mad at us, but did you see her before?"

My face lowered slightly as I buried my face into his chest.

"I feel as if this is my fault."

Altaïr's gaze fell upon me, holding me closer to him.

"You have no reason to blame yourself."

"How can you say that?" I questioned, looking up at him. "I did not tell her because I was so focused on leaving Jerusalem. I put my needs before my friendship," My head lowered once more, "and I destroyed it."

Suddenly, before he could say anything else, another loud knock was heard, but this one was more forceful than before. My heart began beating faster, realizing who it was immediately, before a loud crash was heard. Footsteps began entering the home, yet no voices were heard to just yet. Without thinking clearly, I quickly pushed myself out of Altair's arms and ran toward the door. Altaïr, however, swiftly took hold of my arm and pulled me back into his chest, wrapping his arms around me in a secure and protective manner. I looked up at him, noticing him glaring at the doorway, yet remaining very quiet.