Ch. 12: The Great Escape [Part I]

Cynthia's POV

The bells of the city alarm suddenly began ringing, echoing across the entire city of Jerusalem as a signal of danger. My eyes widened slightly at the sudden sound, shocked to find that they had gone off the moment that I had requested it to do so. My wish had been granted; I assumed, and as of now, the plan had already begun its first stages. Altaïr must have stolen the attention of the guards, I thought, and now he should be busy distracting those fools as we speak. Now there was no time to waste standing here reveling in the sound of signal. Now, it was the time to make our escape, the great escape; while the guards were occupied and no one was watching when they were supposed to be keeping me safe from harm from the very beginning. A smile formed on my face. The sense of freedom was slowly but surely coming to me. The only way I could reach it was if I chased after it, sought it out, grasped it in the palms of my own hands. Then, and only then would I know what the true meaning of freedom, of life, of and peace, was.

"What the Hell?" muttered Diana as she approached the balcony doors, "Qu'est-ce qui se passe?"

My smile grew even more at her question.

"That is the signal," I responded, turning my head to her. "Now, we make our escape!"

The young auburn haired woman looked back at me as I slipped on the dark robe with haste; confusion written on her lightly palen face.

"This is the signal?" She asked, earning a nod from me. "Etes-vous hors de votre esprit?!" I tossed her another black robe. "What is this for?"

"Go and find Ada. She should be busying patrolling, as is Alexandra," I explained. "I will find Alexandra and give the robe to her. Meet me at the city walls of the Poor District and stay in the shadows." I looked back at her, a serious expression written on my face. "We do not want anyone becoming suspicious of what we are doing...or going to do."

She blinked once.

"But you cannot walk out of this building looking like that!" I quickly put up my hood. "How are you going to get around them?"

I stared at her for a long moment before looking toward my balcony, staring at the rays while listening to the echoing sound of the city bells. At that moment, one thought crossed my mind, a single memory appeared before my eyes. I recalled one night from last, when I was with Altaïr and had assassinated Majd Adin, when I asked him how he was able to hide from or escape the guards so easily. I blinked once as a small smirk crossed my lips, remembering very vividly his response;

"We Assassins always take to the rooftops. Some may follow us, but by the time they reach the top, we are already gone."

With those words in mind, I approached the balcony doors hastily and opened the doors, standing there and taking in the breeze that had entered the room. I sensed Diana watching me, wondering what I was up to and why I had approached the balcony so suddenly and abruptly. Inhaling in a deep, shaky breath, I stared at the roof that stood across from my balcony as it basked in the rays of the sunlight. It appeared to be close enough to actually leap onto if I picked up enough speed to do it. Unfortunately, the distance from the doors to the edge of the balcony itself was wide enough to walk around on, but not long enough to give me the speed I need to actually leap onto the next building. However, if I moved back far enough, it may have been a good enough length to give me a chance. I pursed my lips. There was no way I would be able to figure it all out, I thought, until I actually tried.

Taking in another deep breath, I began taking a few steps back, my eyes remaining locked on the building across from me.

"Cynthia, what are you doing?" Diana questioned, watching me with a bit of curiosity and worry.