Ch. 26: The Assassin's Escape

That Afternoon...

"Altaïr. Wake up, Altaïr. You can't sleep forever; it's not healthy."

My dark colored eyes slowly began opening, only to spot a blurry figure standing over me and watching me. Whoever it was had to be shaking me a bit in order to wake me, and was successful in doing so. Judging by the sound of the person's feminine yet barely noticeable Hungarian accent, I assumed it was Alexandra who had woken me up from my slumber. Blinking, I looked over toward the middle of the room, noticing the sunlight entering the room, yet the way it entered the room, it had be to be later in the day than just morning. I slowly sat up and stretched a little, cracking the few bones in my back and releasing the tension that had built up over time, before allowing my arms to fall onto my lap.

"Morning already," I spoke; wanting to make sure it was, indeed, the afternoon.

Alexandra, with a small smile, got to her feet and looked toward the light as I had done moments before.

"Actually, I would consider it more to be in the afternoon," she stated, placing her hands on her hips as I lifted my fallen hood to shield my face once again. "We had a long day yesterday, and I wanted to let you have as much sleep as you could. I was the first to wake up, but that was a few hours ago. Ada woke up a few minutes afterwards."

"You slept for quite some time, Altaïr," Ada said. I looked over at her and noticed her standing against the wall furthest away from us. "You must have had a rough day yesterday."

"I think we all did, Altaïr and Cynthia especially," Alexandra said, glancing over at her and placing her hands on her hips. "Rest is something we all needed...but..."

Her head lowered a bit, eyes becoming deep with thought. Something on her face told me something was going to happen soon, very soon. Tomorrow, I supposed, or at least sometime this week. After a long moment, realization entered my mind, making my hands clench, before looking up at Alexandra once again.

"The wedding is tomorrow…is it not?"

Alexandra looked at me, watching me for a long moment, before looking away and answering.

"We...we overheard one of the guards saying that it was, indeed, tomorrow. They also said it would end at noon. When it starts, though...I do not know..."

Silence took over as I got to my feet and leaned against the wall, the ever present tension of Cynthia's wedding clouding our minds as it had before. Minutes seemed to slip away, the tension growing with every second. Ten minutes, twenty minutes, forty minutes, an hour. They all went by at a painstakingly slow pace, making me grow more and more impatient to get out of the prison. Without my weapons, it was pointless to try. Yes, I could have fought my way through with nothing but my bare hands, maybe steal a sword and use that, but how long would that last? I would be able to hold my own, but how long would it take before they would take hold of me and throw me back in the cell? My eyes narrowed even more. No, I thought. That would never happen. No way in hell would they be able to hold me down. They were weak in comparison to someone who had been training all his life.

From time to time, I watched Alexandra pace the room, clearly trying to keep her mind off the situation, but instead simply leaned against the wall right next to me for a few minutes before repeating the previous actions. She repeated this action several times in the past hour before deciding to sit on the cold floor and hugging her knees to her chest. Although she appeared to have lost all faith in ever escaping, I could see in her eyes that she would not give up until her friend was safe from the Templars' grasp. The same went for Ada, who kept looking up at the sky with a hopeful and determined expression on her face. They both refused to give up hope; they refused to allow themselves to think that Cynthia was going to go through with the wedding to someone who planned to ruin not just her life but others as well. I knew this because I felt the same way. I too, would not allow Abel to take Cynthia for himself only to throw her away and send the Kingdom to hell. Not after the pain he put her through now and what he planned to do to her along with the innocent civilians. I would not allow her to marry him, not while I was still alive and breathing. He was going to die by my blade, no matter what.