Chapter 1

~Alex POV~

Un

Deux

Trois

Quatre

Cinq

Six

Sept

Huit

Neuf

Dix

Breathe Alex, breathe. Just count to 10, just like mom taught you. Just take it 10 seconds at a time. You can do this. You worked your ass off to be here. You deserve this Alex.

Ugh, I could repeat those words in my head 50 million times and they still wouldn't make me feel any less nervous.

First day of college.

Wow.

I should probably back up a bit.

I was born in Nevis, which is a small island in the Caribbean.

My dad abused my mom, brother, and I.

He left when I was 10.

My mom and I got very sick when I was 12.

We couldn't afford the medicine.

My mom didn't make it.

I moved in with my cousin.

He committed suicide.

I fell into a spiraling depression.

At least I still had my older brother James.

At least I thought I did...

Then the hurricane came.

It was my fault.

James is gone

And it's all my fault

I did the only thing left to do

I wrote.

I wrote my way out.

When people heard my story they donated.

I used the money to go to New York.

Washington helped me get a scholarship to King's.

So here I am today, standing in front of King's College. Too giddy to go inside. I take one last supposedly calming breath and walk through the huge doorway. I rack up all the courage I have and head over to the front desk where an old woman with a warm smile is sitting. 

"Alexander Hamilton, I need my dorm keys and schedule," I let out quickly, trying not to trip over my words. She looks up from her laptop and smiles "Hamilton, huh? You must be the young prodigy! I'll have your papers in a sec." She says cheerfully. I can't help but blush slightly at the unusual feeling of praise and give her a quiet thanks. She rustles around in some file cabinets and eventually hands me a manilla folder and a silver tag with 1776 neatly engraved on it.

"Alexander, this is Aaron Burr, he's a senior here and he'll be showing you to your dorm. If you have any questions ask him." She says stepping out from behind the desk and gesturing a tall, bald man towards us. I mutter a quick hello and stick out my hand. He takes it stiffly and almost immediately lets go with a nod. Seeing that both Aaron Burr and I are astronomically socially awkward, the front desk lady stops trying to get us to socialize with a weak smile.

"Well Aaron, you better be showing Alexander to his room, I'm Martha Washington by the way." She says with a wink. Aaron Burr gives her another curt nod and turns to me. "What's your room number?" he asks. I tell him and he smirks incredulously. 

"Good luck with that"   

"I'm afraid I don't understand..." I respond worried.

 "Oh you'll see, you'll see"

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this whole thing, I probably should have just stayed- ''This is the one." He mutters, pointing to a door labeled 1776. I smile and turn to thank him properly but he's already walking away. Slightly confused, I grip tightly onto my luggage handles with one hand and slowly open the door with my free hand. I poke my head into the dorm and see a figure turn their head towards the noise of the door opening.

Holy Shit