Issues

In the darkness of night, you waited outside the airport. You debated whether not going inside to see her, but decided against it when it started to rain again. You watched people come and go; hugging family, friends, leaving in taxis and cars, some solo, some in groups, all with sweet expressions and smiles if not somewhat darkened by tiredness.

The tone Elżbieta's last email gave you was more bitter than the last, she really needed someone to talk to without being worried of being watched.

You got here about 30 minutes early, and by the time she was supposed to arrive, it was already 40 after midnight. The crowds at this point were small. Flights stopped taking off at this hour, they were only coming in.

A considerable crowd left the airport, doing what you were used to now. When that crowd disputes, a lone hooded figure comes out of the airport carrying one bag. There's an itch on your ribs - that's Elżbieta.

You got out of your car to greet her. It was just a few seconds being pelted by the rain, but you were pretty wet by the time you saw her. "Wie war Ihr Flug?" <<How was your flight?>>

Elżbieta looks up, her face lit by the lights as her blue eyes meet yours. She smiles delightfully and walks towards you to thank you for having her around and to offer so much help. When she ends, you ask where she needs to go. She then tells you she's hoping to stay at a hotel that's just a few minutes away from the airport.

"Let's get out of the rain then," you gesture to your car. You both sprint to your vehicle to escape the downpour. Inside, you shake dry and warm up. "Are you hungry? I don't think there's too much open right now, but I'd be glad to stop—"

Elżbieta cuts you off. "No! Please! You're already doing so much."

"Are you sure?"

She nods then sucks in her lips. "I'd like to talk over breakfast tomorrow."

Her lack of options forces you to agree. "Yes, we can meet up tomorrow to have breakfast."

The drive in the rain is quiet and relaxing. Neither one of you are talking, instead you take in the lights and enjoy the peace that's come at night. The silence might've been awkward with someone else, but with her it seems right.

You turn into the parking lot at the hotel before stopping at the front doors - it's about as average as you'd expect any other hotel to be. Elżbieta thanks you one more time before she opens the door and treks towards the front doors.

Even though you didn't have to talk to Elżbieta, you felt like maybe you should have tried to get some information from her while you were alone. No matter the case, that night you laid in bed with your head swimming in thoughts of her - you could hardly wait to speak to her.

...

...

Elżbieta was dressed pretty casually. The warm morning was a stark contrast to what it was the night she left the airport.  You met her at the hotel where she was in the lobby with an almost blank expression. It wasn't until you called out for her that she snapped back reality. She erected and joined you. Initially you weren't sure what to do with her, but after your refusal to hug her, she rolls her eyes and wraps herself in a friendly embrace. Her smaller figure is pressed into your larger one. You haven't felt a hug as warm or as inviting as Elżbieta's. You felt your cheeks flush and your mind flood with unfamiliar emotions. You gingerly hug her back and choke. What can you say??

When she retracts, she beams at you with a wide smile. She seems to be enjoying herself.

"What's wrong?" She asks, notices your change of complexion.