Chapter 9

Renzo's POV

I search the screen for my name, super excited and super nervous at the same time. I hear my classmates cheer and whoop as they find their names, grabbing one another in their excitement. Finally, I get to the 'Re's' and slow down, reading each name carefully. And there it is.

Renzo, Kagami. Passed.

"I passed!" I yell, still looking at the board. For some reason, my gaze is being drawn to the name under mine. I feel scared to look at it, but I can't stop myself.

Retsu, Bon. Passed.

No. No, no, no, no, no! Not him, anyone but him! Nausea roils in my gut and the scar over my left eyebrow tingles. He knows I'm here, he would've seen my name before he found his. Hell, Retsu could've seen me during the exam! He probably did, seeing as everyone attacked 1-A right out of the gate.

"Renzo, are you alright? You look like you're going to pass out," Iida says, putting a hand on my shoulder.

I stiffen, because I can see Retsu walking this way. He spots me and starts moving faster, almost shoving people out of the way. Oh, gods, I can't do this here in front of everyone. I make some excuse about needing to go to the washroom and dart away, putting up a shield spell in front of me.

Please, please please just let me get to the washroom before Retsu catches up to me.

The crowd thins and I burst fre, ending my spell. I dart down the hall to the washrooms and lock myself in. My hands literally radiate heat and my scar pricks painfully as the memories come crashing down on me.

*flashback*

"Quirkless freak!"

"Why are you still here?"

"Yeah, no one wants you around."

"You make the rest of us look weird when you try to talk with us. Who would want to be friends with someone who has no quirk?"

I ignore the taunts, walking away from the school. I've heard them all a hundred times, and I'd hear them a hundred more. Mom said it didn't matter if I had a quirk or not, I was perfect. I wanted to believe her, but she was my mom. She has to say things like that. "Renzo, where do you think you're going? We're not done with you!"

Something hits my bag and I turn around. Shima Retsu and his friends were behind me, holding rocks. They throw them, most going wide, though a few land around me.

'Stop it, please!"

"If you had a quirk, you could stop us," Retsu jeers. "But you're a quirkless freak who can't do anything g other then run home to mommy." He stoops and picks up another rock. Normally, I would've run by now, because if I didn't, they'd start using their quirks. But today, I held my ground. My hands clenched into fists and felt like they were burning. My whole felt hot.

"C'mon, Renzo, you freak! Try to stop me, I dare you!" Retsu s, throwing the rock. It hits me in the forehead and seconds later, hot, thick blood runs fmdonw my face. I scream, a high-pitched, primal sound and Retsu is sent flying. His goons run away, crying.