17. Birthdays bring wisdom

Valeria was sitting at her desk, her head completely wrapped into the schedule for the British GP. She replied to yet another email from F1 and Sky, looking up to the clock on the wall. It was 5 o'clock, meaning she could finally close her laptop and postpone her emails to the following day.

She walked out of her office, happy to be able to go home. It was Seb's birthday and she had organised a little surprise for him, but she needed to get home soon as she asked Britta to stall him for only an hour.

She jumped in her car and tried to get home as soon as possible, avoiding fines.and rush hour traffic. She grabbed the balloons and banners out of her car and started decorating the living room.

'Leaving work now, bella. Had an extra long meeting with Britta today. See you in a bit' he messaged her.

The doorbell rang. Valeria had ordered a cake to be delivered and the timing couldn't have been more perfect. She popped it in the fridge and waited around for him to be home.

She heard the keys in the door and jumped up.

'Schatzi, I'm home' he said.

'Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!' she told him, as soon as he walked into the living room. 'buon compleanno, old man!' she smiled.

'Thank you!' he told her, giving her a kiss. 'you didn't have to worry about it, it's just a birthday'

'Shut up. A birthday is a birthday. Here' she passed him a wrapped box and a card. Sebastian opened the card first.

'Seb, what can I say? Happy 32nd birthday. I hope this is the first of a long list of birthdays spent together. You have accepted me for who I am and have given me a reason to smile again. You are amazing and I love you. I suck with words, so please forgive me. Yours, forever, Val'

Seb smiled as he popped the card on the table. He opened his present to find a collection of Beatles vinyls.

'I noticed you were missing a few' she told him, as he excitedly looked at them.

'Thank you so much, Schatzi'

'also, we're making pizza tonight.' She told him. 'and then having a drink with your family'

'What? How?'

'the miracles of technology, Bärchen' she joked. 'now, put this on. I'm starving' she threw him an apron and walked to the kitchen. She had made the dough early in the morning and left it to rise. They decided to make each other a pizza, so Valeria had thrown some flour on the wooden board and had started shaping some dough.

'You look so Italian right now'

'Is this an insult?' she joked, throwing some flour at him.

'never.' He smiled, putting some flour on her nose. She lifted herself on her tiptoes and kissed him. 'I love you' he said.

'I think you're OK' she joked, watching him open his mouth in disbelief.

'come on, I am hungry' he said 'stop distracting me'

They both concentrated again on their pizzas.

'I think I'm done' Seb said, after a while. She turned around to see he had attempted to shape it like a heart and had put lots of olives on it. 'you love olives, don't you? You said it back in Barcelona'

'Jesus, how do you remember it?'

'I wasn't drunk that night' he laughed.

'Oh fuck. Yeah. God. The night I lost the little dignity I had left. How are you with me again?'