Chapter 19: Mood Swings

The stupid "super" people have been making more frequent, but scarce, appearances, unlike my father's appearances for the past week and a half. Every one or two days, at least one would show up, exhaust me, get uglier, and disappear. My little outfit has been getting a more worn look to it making the red on the romper dim to a duller color. Not to mention that for the past three days, I've been grounded for back talking my dad when he came over again. Old, butt-licking surgeon.

I've only been grounded a handful of times before and why am I grounded now? Because my mother hates me and is mad that I'm a size five now; that's why.

"Rosie! I need your help with dinner! We're having waffles!" No friends, no Ryan, no computer and, supposedly, no phone. But because I'm such a rule breaker, I bought a prepaid phone at the pharmacy when I got more tattoo cover-up. Breaking the Law of Emma Parker. I'm just that cool.

I make way down the wide staircase and into the kitchen. "Why do you need help with waffles? They're premade already." When she turns around, her apron is covered in gross material that I'm pretty sure is not in a box of Eggo Chocolate Chip Waffles. "And what the crap is on you?" 

She briefly looks down and an airy laugh comes out of her mouth. "Oh. It's from last week, I think. You know when I was making an outfit for the Selena girl? The one who a beaver broke up with? Her." 

"That's Selena Gomez and it's Bieber. Justin Bieber, not a beaver." Even Ms. Pollock knows that and she's a century old, basically.

"Whatever, Rose. Can you look up how to work our toaster? It has like fifteen buttons." I just have to everything don't I? All these things are making me mad. I even dropped my math grade to a C, which is another partial reason why my mom grounded me. I hope Mr. Pepper gets stuck with a child who sucks at math. Watch how hard it'll be. Just to see him squirm and quit his job. . . even the thought gives me chills of deviousness.

"I can't because I'm grounded, remember?" She quickly turns right back around and looks me dead in the eye, mouth gaping open. 

"Oh my waffles, did I forget to stop that already? I'm so sorry, Rosie-Boo-Boo. You know I'm never serious about those things. You're un-grounded." It was literally that easy? Well, I'm in a great mood, now! Forget all of the terrible things I just talked about.

'im sorry . my aunt was in the hospital on her death bed so i never really turned on my phone . shes good now but sorry if this text is really late! :/'

Death bed? Her aunt was dying? That's why Mindy was never on Facebook or answering her phone calls! Oh, dear--yes, I'm officially a terrible friend. Shoot me. No really, shoot me; it won't even hurt.

"Now go research this so we can ea--"

"Mom, I can't. I'm gonna go see Mindy." Sure, I get grounded, she forgets and finally un-grounds me and no less than a few seconds later, I'm leaving the house. But I have a good reason for this! Mindy needs a friend. Mom faces me with more powder and icing on her face. Or at least I think it's icing.

"Why? I just ungrounded you, honey. Mindy can wait 'til after dinner can't she?" Um, no?

"Her aunt was dying and I need to go see if she's okay, though." Immediately, my mom coughs so hard, I'm pretty positive that germs are chilling out on our floor. I'm not mopping that up.

"Mindy's aunt? Shirley? Oh, I loved Shirley! Go see Mindy and bring her some of these cookies I baked! I hear people love food when they're grieving over someone." She hands over a plate of deformed sugar cookies. Nobody with common sense will inhale these, mother.