Chapter 10: Two Visits

I came home. She ran. I chased after her. She hid.

Awesome. I'm a crush crazed, awkward socializing, democrat, teenager who can't find her mother because she wants to play hide and seek against my will.

This can not be normal to somebody of my age.

Or species.

"Mom! Why the crap are you running from me?" I peeked into the living room. "I'm not a monster or anything!" Well, that's kind of a lie.

A head, out of the corner of my eye, peers around the stairwell.

Guess I wasn't really looking very hard if that's where she was at.

She took cautious steps to me and when she was close enough, reached out and quickly tapped my shoulder before retreating her hand. I'm not an abuser, mother. Like dad was. The sick, old hag. I'm putting him in the nursing home. You just wait.

"What's up with you anyways?" Her behavior is getting really questionable. I wonder if she's pregnant or something else she had no business doing at her law defying age.

 "Um, nothing. I, uh, just am being a bad mother. That's all."

A bad mother? I won't deny it for her, but that's not the reason she's acting up right now.

"Mom." After my improper statement, it dawned on me. The reason she's scared.

All the clues were there. She started acting up this morning. She's never up in the morning unless for a fashion meeting. And she hasn't had one of those in months considering her workers were just a bunch of airheads that pull fabric and run around like their in a JCPenney commercial.

She knew.

She knows.

There's no other way she would be up in the morning unless she didn't go to sleep. She only doesn't go to sleep when she's had lemonade or she found something out that frightens her. 

"Do you know something, that maybe, involves me?" I took a gulp the size of two moons. 

Her eyes went wide and searched my eyes for reasoning behind my peculiar question. Don't play dumb mom, I know you know I know you know what I'm talking about. Shoo. 

"What do you mean? Of course I know nothing strange about you! Unless you're lying about you going somewhere after school today." She cocked an eyebrow at me and crossed her arms uncomfortably. 

"I never mentioned going somewhere after school today, mom." Stare 'til your eyes burn flames time.

I'm winning. 

Wait, no crap! This piece of floating dust in front of me is going to make me blink and lose! I can't lose! Losing means--ugh.

I lost.

"It doesn't matter. Where'd you get that cardigan? I didn't design it." She observed my outfit. Oh, darn. If there were security cameras today, I'm busted. I can't wear these clothes ever again. Well, hopefully a lot of people shop at Walmart because that's where I got this crap from.

"Uh, I bought them. At, uh, Dots. Yup." Avoid eye contact, Rose. She'll see right through you and reach your lie. When she does, you'll be dead. Literally. And as your conscience, I'm not going to attend the funeral. I'm going to be partying with my friends while you're uncomfortably placed in the casket.

"Okay, fine! I know your little secret! And it's scary! What the heck did you do to yourself to become a nationally known super-thing?!" My mom sounded scornful. What's she gonna do, punish me because I broke into a school, almost got robbed and stole science supplies?