Chapter 12: Self-Learning

The rest of the school day went with people's constant blubber congratulating me or insulting me on my new relationship. Are they serious? I'm somebody's girlfriend. Not pregnant. 

Emily, the one I prank called, came up to me and said she knows we're going to last forever while Edmin, a guy that solves the Rubix Cube in ten seconds, insulted me because Ryan accidentally ripped off a sticker of his toy once so he'd "win". 

Haters be hatin'.

And Zoey? She tried to make me get a belly button piercing but I somehow nudged my way out of it. I wouldn't mind one. But I'm stressed out right now about these wedges are murdering me alive in public and nobody cares. 

The car keys I have hit the floor and I bend down to pick them up when I hear a wolf whistle behind me. Let's see; who's going to get jack-slapped-drop-kicked today?

"I'm loving those white, ripped shorts, Babe. And the view." I whip around from the crouched position I'min, to face the only fat headed worthy kid I know. My threat is literally the person.

Jack.

Ugh! I forgot all about that wimp! Why is he always staring at me? Being a new kid, this isn't a reputation to start with. You can't pull off the bad boy player on your first week of school, you'll look like the kid who's trying too hard to fit in and try so hard that you become an outcast. It doesn't work like that.

Hit the road, Jack.

I watch him as he walks away from me trying to be cool sagging and all going towards the woods. Oh, yeah. The woods. I forgot how creepy he was being by walking into the deserted area all the time. When he gets a Lochness Monster's distance away, I start walking towards the entrance of the woods being sure not to be too obvious. 

With me and my history of ninja skills, I know I'll never get caught. I'm a great spy. 

Wait. No. Tripping over every abiotic, biotic organism and particle isn't exactly called "ninja". It's called pathetic.

"Rose!" No! I'm in the middle of an intense movie-worthy moment!

Cora comes into view in front of me. 

"Oh my gosh Rose! You're not single anymore! Isn't it fun? Are you going out tonight? Oh my gosh what if you get your first kiss with him soon? Where are you going now?" Questions, questions, questions. And I'm ignoring, ignoring, ignoring. I have to get to Jack.

"It's fun. No. Maybe, and nowhere important." Oh, gosh. I've never lied to Cora before. She's smart enough to know if I lie. I can't do another round of this sick game. Or at least it's only sick if it's me playing.

"Oh. Are you sure? You look like you're in a rush." She adjust her glasses over her blue Kool-Aid eyes. Calm down, Rose. She won't notice anything if you lie like the biggest, fattest lying great Dane dog there is.

"No, I'm just really anxious to get these heels off." She sends a disbelieving stare at my feet then back up at my face. She doesn't look like she's convinced. I suck at everything I do. I'm being serious. I need to go fall off of a cliff and knock some sense into me. Why am I so strange?

"Okay." She scratches the hair on her head and walks away.

It's not that simple is it? She can't just. . . just. . . walk away from me! Either, she's really out of it and believes me or she has a science club meeting.

Whatever it was, it got rid of her. 

I look back over at the woods and see Jack's faint silhouette between the trees. Nature is so nasty. I'm pretty sure where he's walking is where a Native American handled some business a while ago. And he's just embracing it isn't he?