14. The Brutal Truth

Kapoor House

Sameer entered his room and saw Aahana waiting for him. She looked at him and said, "When do you want to lodge an FIR against her?"

Sameer looked at Aahana. He had known that this topic would come up soon. Aahana had been disgusted by the very thought of a criminal roaming free. Personally, he too wanted to get her punished but his fears had always stopped him. While the fear of being ridiculed had been taken care of, he still wondered if the law would punish her. "Will the law punish her?" he asked her.

Aahana sighed, "I hope so. I don't know about law but I know a lawyer. If you want we can take his help." "But everyone will come to know about it then," Sameer whispered. Aahana walked towards him and looked into his eyes, "They will take inspiration from you, inspiration to get such criminals punished. And if it still bothers you, your identity can be kept a secret."

"Our families will come to know," Sameer spoke again. "Families Sameer," Aahana laid stress on it, "They need to know so that they can stand with us in our difficult times." Sameer looked at Aahana. She was right. He needed his family's support. In addition to it, he needed to get Malini punished. He nodded. Aahana beamed with joy.

~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~

Rohini Apartments
Flat Number 303

Aahana and Sameer waited outside the door, after ringing the bell. "Isn't it a bit late? It's eleven o' clock, Aahana, he might be asleep. We should visit him in his office." Sameer suggested. 

"And how will you escape your office work without letting that good-for-nothing woman know?" Aahana asked. That was true. She was keeping an eye on his every movement. All of Sameer's sessions with the psychiatrist had been disguised under the pretext of a movie or dinner date. Even today, their family thought that they were out for a movie.

The door opened and Karan looked at the visitors. He rubbed his eyes. He had obviously been sleeping. "Aahu, just because you played cupid for Priya and me, doesn't mean that you will destroy my sleep." Aahana rolled her eyes and entered the flat. Sameer followed, passing an apologetic look to Karan. Karan shook his head and closed the door.

"We need your help," Aahana spoke. She looked at Sameer, who nodded. Aahana briefed Karan about the sexual abuse Sameer had been living with. Sameer noticed Karan's body tense up but when he spoke, his voice was very calm. 

"What do you want to do now?" Karan asked Sameer. Sameer drew a breath and looked at Aahana, hoping she would do the talking. Aahana shook her head in negative and smiled encouragingly. "I want to know if she can be punished legally. And if yes, I want to see her get punished." Karan nodded. 

"We can file a complaint under Protection Of Children From Sexual Offences Act. But...," Karan could not complete his sentence as Sameer interrupted him. "I am not a child anymore." "There is not time limit for filing a complaint. The law accepts that due to some causes the victim might not be able to report the case immediately." Aahana nodded in acceptance. She knew how difficult it could get for the people to report abuse of any kind. 

"I believe this has stopped since three months or so?" Karan asked. 

Aahana nodded. "He has some wounds though and," Aahana looked at Sameer, "She recorded it." Karan muttered a few curses. Aahana continued, "Dr Khurana and I have been helping him come out of the trauma. So we can also help." She looked at Karan.

"You are his wife. Your statement...but Dr Khurana will be helpful," Karan said calmly, "Don't worry, Sameer. I will make sure that she gets what she deserves."